Saturday, February 18, 2017

Day 196-Pittsburgh Symphony POPS Broadway Standing Ovations-Feel the Music


I have had a run of Broadway show experiences lately (see Day 168 Kinky Boots,  Day 171 Finding Neverland , and Day 191 Something Rotten) so when I heard that the  Pittsburgh Symphony POPS  had a show, “Broadway Standing Ovations," I thought  that it would be perfect to experience  a variety of  the best  from Broadway with the full sound of  the Pittsburgh Symphony.  What I got was  such a powerful  sound that  during the show I had the  urge  to stand in appreciation, especially in the second half. You  could not help but feel the music! It was a standing ovation!




Reflection
With the  POPS you get the  best of both worlds- a top notch symphony  and the addition of  some type of show or theme. This show had a vocal cast that blew me away with Ted Keegan, Ron Remke, Richard Todd Adams, Kathy Voytko and Christine Hestwood. The show was male dominated (which was perfectly fine with me) with songs like: "Man of La Mancha", "Maria" (West Side Story), "This is the Moment" (Jekyll and Hyde) and a medley of leading men songs. The balance of a  powerful female punch was injected with the  music from "Evita" and the  passionate vocal rendition of  "Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina."



Just like in Day 189 -Decades Rewind , I was tapping my foot and singing along and as I looked around so was everyone else, during "76 Trombones" (Music Man) and "Oklahoma" (Oklahoma)! However I was brought to tears with the performance of "Gethsemane" (Jesus Christ Super Star).  Then after so much emotion, the symphony took the audience on a musical  ride with Phantom of the Opera selections.  I was back to tearing up again with the  intense performance of "Music of the Night" (Phantom).  The singing and music drew my mom and I in like a magnet. Yes, it was  just like the scene with  Julia Roberts  at the opera in the movie, "Pretty Women."

Mom and I emotional at this show

This show was sure full of passion and the audience  felt the music. It was a “Standing Ovation!”

I will keep the Pittsburgh Symphony POPS in my survival tool box.  Standing Ovation runs from Feb 17th  through 19th.  I look forward to the next show- Sounds of Simon and Garfunkel (March 24-26). 
POPS 2016-17 Season

Spiritual Reflection 
Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable.  (Philippians 4:8)

Other Sources: