Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day 168 Pittsburgh Broadway, Kinky Boots – Change your world and Remembering my Friend


The Pittsburgh Broadway series is bringing some great  musicals to town. Kinky Boots, which is based on a true story,  had a unique plot-Charlie revitalizes  his late father’s bankrupt shoe  factory by finding a niche making sexy boots for men who dress as women. Kinky boots was about confidently reinventing  something which is in line with my blog  inspiration, Maslow, the father of self actualization , or being your personal best.  This show was also about acceptance and  looking beyond appearances into one's heart.  As stressed in this play, by doing this you can "change your world. "
 Maybe it’s my  current  perspective (see Day 167) but every song in this show seemed to be screaming at me: Take What You Got, Sex is in the Heel , History of Wrong Guys, and of course, What a Woman Wants .  I have to admit that my eyes welled with tears during, Not My Father's Son, and Raise You Up/Just Be. I  remembered my best friend, Paul, who left this world much too soon. He dared to be himself when it was so difficult in the 80's. He sure sparkled just like those Kinky Boots!

Reflection
When you experience change, the song, Take What You Got (listen), says it so well:
You can’t go back, You can’t make it last.
You’ve got to take what you’ve got.
Even when  your life is in knots,
You take aim, take your shot. 
Sometimes you got to rewrite the plot.
What a lovely thing to rewrite your own story.  With your "do over" there are those new people that  support you, and those from your past that have always been there.  Paul and I were like Lola and Charlie in the show. We supported each other and were often each others number one fan.  
Paul and I in NYC, look at the boots on the wall
 I thought about  Paul when I heard the song, Not My  Father's Son, which is about a man who tried to mimic  his  dad but had to be himself. Paul went from  high school  to pursue design in NYC.   He was a designer, an artist, a chef, and my best friend, my support, my fan. With Paul everything was  positive, funny, and adventurous.  I could just hear him screaming the words  in the show's theme song, Raise  You Up (listen):
Celebrate you,To elevate you.
When you struggle to stand,(I’ll) talk you’re hand.
If you hit the dust, Let me raise you up.
 
When your bubble bust, Let me raise you up.

If your glitter bust, Let me raise up,
And up and up. 
Paul and I going out to Studio 54
 NYC
Paul sure sparkled  like those Kinky Boots and he made me sparkle when we were together!  He was a  man with a pure heart who  reinvented himself in NYC.  I can just hear him yelling,  “Cindy, go get some heels, get your mojo going, and look fabulous!” 
Kinky Boots is  a must in my tool box of empty nest survival-next in the Pittsburgh Broadway Series is Finding Neverland!
Spiritual Reflection
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is. (Romans 12:2,3)