Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 115 Cooking with Blue Apron




Everything I Need to Know I Learned From A Little Golden Book, recommends that we “learn to cook.” I am not a confident cook. In fact, every Thanksgiving I am on the phone getting steps from my girlfriend who is  a gourmet cook. Every year she reminds me not to thaw the turkey in warm water or in the microwave both of which I tried to do  my first Thanksgiving!  No worries, no one got salmonella. So when I heard about Blue Apron, a food service where once a week they send you all the food and directions, I thought –“This could me my answer.” Taking a weakness (or a least a perceived  weakness), and making it a strength is definitely  a way to reach  Maslow’s theory of Self Actualization or being the best you can be.



Reflection
All the food  comes by Fedex in a cooled box . I was amazed that everything you  need  for three meals was in there -the main food, all the spices, even down to a little container of butter. This is great because there have been many times that I have started to cook only to find out that I did not have a certain ingredient and I had to try to  borrow it from  my neighbor or  go off to the store.
Arepas
So far the dinners have turned out great. We had Arepas, Salmon Burgers  and Chicken Piccata. The portions are a nice size but they don’t overfill  you. I even lost a few pounds!  It also takes away that “what am I going to make tonight” dilemma.
Chicken Piccata


The recipes are on  8x11  big easy to read cards. This is perfect for me who needs to diligently read every step.  Blue Apron is also a good reason to have fun cooking with my friend and there is a feeling of accomplishment when you enjoy your cooperative effort.  You can also learn a lot when you cook with someone. For example, I am an improviser and he follows every step “to a T.”

Trying  Blue Apron  has given me a cooking boost of  confidence. I am not a gourmet chief but I am getting much better in the kitchen!
Spiritual Refection 
(confidence)
Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You will lead my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.”
“But who am I to appear before Pharaoh?” Moses asked God. “How can you expect me to lead the Israelites out of Egypt? ”
Then God told him, " I will be with you…” (Exodus 3:10-12)

Other Sources