Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 116 Buyers & Cellar-Pittsburgh Public Theater




Pittsburgh Public Theather (PPT) is a great place to see a play because it feels like you are part of the action with  the audience  on all three sides of the stage.  I have always loved going to musicals as in Day 105- My Fair Lady, but  seeing  a “one man show” is a new experience that I tried with  PPT’s  Buyers & Cellar which runs through June 28th. 

This fictional play was  inspired by Barbra Streisand’s Malibu estate’s basement where supposedly she has rooms set up like shops displaying things that she has collected. She referenced  her  basement  in her book, My Passion for Design which fueled this comedic play (more about the play). The actor is  hilarious as a Barbra Streisand star struck fan  hired to work as a clerk in the  basement  whose only customer is Barbra.  It reminded me of the Hoarders TV show but for  the rich and famous  with really nice stuff  and with Type A personality organization.  I could relate to this concept  because, I hate to throw  anything away. Imagine if you could keep everything  you love and have a place where  you could visit it, but who does that! The concept is stand alone funny. 


PPT 2015-16 show line up
I thought  that a “one man” show would not hold my interest  but this one was full of energy and laughter. The Actor   was  all over the stage,  talking to the audience,  reenacting  his interactions with Barbra, his roommate, and others. It felt like there were 4 people in the play.  I kept thinking, “ How can this guy remember all those lines  and talk for over an hour?”  

Seeing this show has made me a fan of a “one man show” and has eliminated  my fear of a play without all the “bells and whistles” of a musical. Give it try!

Spiritual Reflection
(We are not a one man show)
I command you – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go (Joshua 1: 9)

Other Sources