Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 14, Absorb Art-Degas

Degas

Day 14, Absorb Art -Edgar Degas
(Please see Day 1 if this is your first visit)

On Day 7, tattoo day, I was headed to the Frick Art Museum in Pittsburgh when it was thwarted by the “Monday hiatus of museums.” Therefore today I tried  it again.  I love the art of the  impressionist area and so I wanted to experience the  lecture that the museum offered on Degas, the artist known for his paintings of ballerinas, horse, and bathing women. I have never taken the time to go to a lecture as a preview  to viewing  the art. This was my  challenge today.  

 
Reflection
The expert, made Degas come alive with her detail of his personality,  influences in the art world, and relationships.  Though the expert’s oration I began to really like this guy maybe because I  discovered that we shared many things in common (other than artistic ability- I draw stick men). He sometimes  had a sarcastic sense of humor, liked to “stir the pot”, was very close to his mother, had a parent die at a young age, went to law school and had an Italian connection. I wonder if Degas and I would have been good friends like he was with Mary Cassatt, the impressionist known for the mother and child paintings.



The detail of the etching were amazing! To view the exhibit, with the knowledge of the how the impressionists congregated to debate, shared ideas, and argued, gave so much more meaning to the works of art.  The connection and friendship that Degas had with Mary Cassatt was deeply rooted  in the way they related to the art, which can be a magnet for two people.   


Gaining background knowledge through a lecture before viewing an art show  will stay in my survival tool box. Also, if you live in Pittsburgh, I encourage to go see this exhibit especially if you like Impressionist art.  
Spiritual  Reflection
God has given gifts to each of you from a great variety of spiritual gifts. Manage them well so that God’s generosity can flow through you. 1 Peter 4:10-11
We all have gifts from God, use them wisely for his Glory.
Other Sources