Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Day 278- Happy Earth Day- Rachel Carson Challenge-Training Hikes- Endurance



What better way to celebrate Earth Day than to try a 7.5 mile training hike for the Rachael Carson Challenge.  Rachel Carson was one of the first "nature writers" whose book, Silent Spring (1962), is credited with fueling the environmental movement. The Rachel Carson Challenge
 is a 35 mile one day hike on rugged terrain on June 23, 2018 (the longest day of the year which makes sense because you need all the daylight that you can get to finish it). Since  this  blog is all about trying new things and obtaining your personal best, I thought admitting with some trepidation, that  I would  at least attempt  the first 7.5 mile training to see if I had what it takes to endure.

Reflection
  My initial reaction to this  daunting Challenge was that attempting it would be crazy because 1) I am really not in superwoman shape and 2)  walking from sun up to sun down seems a little too "Forest Gump like" to me, not  to mention feet aching, muscle burning, literally never ending.   The weekly training hikes  progressively increase in length to prepare you for the mother-lode hike.  The training hikes seem to be a better choice for me.


The Racheal Carson trail is known for its "tortuous hill climbing through primitive rugged terrain”  and there are no grading of the surfaces on the trail.  The 35 mile Challenge is meant to be a  test of endurance and an accomplishment  to be able to  finish it in one day without getting lost in the woods. 

For me finishing the  7.5 mile training hike would be just as momentous as the Challenge because I rarely hiked much until this past year. Like some other activities, I began to really enjoy walking in the woods by osmosis since this was a  repeated event with a friend but I rarely hiked farther than a few miles. This was my own personal challenge!

 I was  fearful that I would not be able to complete the training hike. I asked  everyone  I knew that remotely walked or hiked to come along but  I had no takers. I was going it alone. I felt  just like Reese Witherspoon in the movie Wild who had no outdoor experience before she set off to conquer the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail.

Crew met at the start of hike

I arrived at the meeting point to find over  50 others, some in pairs and some solo like me, ready to hike.  My nerves fueled my motor mouth which was revved up in high gear while I meet a bunch of hikers. A lot of hikers were in the same boat as me, just trying the training  to see what they could accomplish but many had finished the Challenge several times. I also learned that  today I was going to hike one of the steepest hills in the Challenge.

Goes straight down to steep valley
When they   say  that  this is a “primitive trail” they mean it. There were parts that were  mud swamps, parts that crossed over creeks and there was a hill  that produced my  outburst, “what the fudge is this” (just like Ralphie’s  “Fudge” outburst in The Christmas Story movie). The hill dropped straight down into a valley,  barren of trees to hold on to, with a long steep upward swampy climb. I was grateful that I seem to be  “the universal size of ex-wives” and thus I have been given, coats, ski equipment and more, but my best gift was the water  proof  Timberland boots on my feet that helped me tackle this hill. 

During the hike people walked with me for periods of time and then some went ahead or hung back. Fortunately,  a  spunky young woman, also going it alone, accompanied me for most of the day  and helped pace my hike. This year would be her third Challenge so I lucked out  because I am sure that I would have gotten lost without her.




My spunky hiking partner that kept me moving
I noticed that  when you walk with strangers they seem to reveal a lot about  themselves during the hike. It’s similar to strangers sitting on an airplane  who chat the entire flight never to be seen again.  My spunky hiker told me about her work, family, that she was in a mushroom identifying club  and a bird watcher.  I am really not a fan of birds but I selfishly thought that if  I kept her talking then maybe she would continue to walk with me.  She did.  I really enjoyed her company and  surprisingly learned some interesting things about the birds. It was a “win win” situation, at least it was for me.

As we came down the last hill, my spunky friend and I started to jump and high five as we had finished! She said that I "crushed it" but I think she just was trying to be nice. We finished the training in 2 hours and 55 min and I don't know if I "crushed it" but  I sure endured it. Now all I have to do is endure a few aches and pains.  

 If you want to try to endure it with me, the next training hike (8.5 miles) is on April 29th.   Who knows maybe  I  will tackle the  Challenge next year!

Spiritual Reflection
More than that, we rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produced endurance.
(Romans 5:3)

Other Sources
Rachael Carson Challange https://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/