Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day 160- 2 year blog reflection and soul/funk artists Charles Bradley-Changes



Charles Bradley at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival
This blog has been about self  improvement , or self- actualization, which is being the best you can be, by trying new things after life changes. My  changes occurred  over two years ago  when my only son started collage leaving me with an “empty nest” and simultaneously  I had a cracked personal  relationship. I had the double whammy and potential for despair.  Dale Carnegie once said, “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”   I challenged myself  to trying something new everyday in the summer of 2014 and to blog about it. It’s been 2.5 years of fun, discovery and reflections. This  blog has been a push for me to get busy and hopefully to others who read it.   

I took a 2 month hiatus  on blogging. However, when I recently  discovered  soul/ funk artist, Charles Bradley, at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival  he inspired me to get busy blogging again. His  music and story is  what this blog is all about-never giving up and making changes into something   positive.  
 Reflection
Charles Bradley started his singing career at 62 and now at  67  he has 3 albums!  He drew in both the hipster and the older crowd. He sang with passion (Crying In The Chapel) and  with sass (Ain't It A Sin) .  Although  I knew nothing about him, when he sang I  could feel that he  lived every word in his songs.  He exuded confidence, screamed like James Brown, and moved like Jagger.  
The song, and title of his latest album, Changes inspired by the loss of his mother, sums it up:
I lost the best friend that I ever had…but it’s too late now…I am going through changes. I am going through changes in my life…
We all are, or will, go through changes but like this guy, we can survive them, transform after them, and it’s never to  late too “get busy”.  My  empty nest  survival tool box will  include adding some  Charles Bradley to my play list.  
(Footnote dated 10/14/16 : Charles Bradley canceled his tour due to stomach cancer. Prayers and best wishes shouting out to Him!)
Spiritual Reflection
But when I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
O God, I praise your word. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortal do to me? (Psalms 56:3,4)
Other Sources /Music
You told me you were all mine... You Stole my love..Never thought you would ever leave me...I made my mind, I was going you love you baby till the end of time... All along you told me you were mine, all mine…No more, no more, it’s my turn, no more, it's my turn

I Lost the best friend that I ever had…but its too late now…I am going through changes. I am going through changes in my life….We shared the years..we shared each day..together we found a way. Love went astray…
 
If you ain’t going to do me right..I might just do you in…ain't it a sin