Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day 99 Torrey Pines State Reserve-San Diego




  
As I stated in Day 98 , my past beach holidays involved  laying in the sun and reading most of the day. I did not anticipate that a beach vacation could involve  trail hiking on sandstone cliffs, overlooking unspoiled beaches, viewing clear skies, wild flowers, Torrey pine trees and cacti.  As I continue on my quest to reach self –actualization, Maslow would have been proud of me for my continued development of a deep appreciation for  natural beauty.


Reflection
 In this new journey I traded a beach day to hike in San Diego. Torrey Pines Reserve is 2000 acres of land located on the coast between La Jolla and Del Mar, California, at the northwest edge of the City of San Diego.  There are eight (8) miles of hiking trails and you can wind your way all the way down from  high cliffs to the beach.
Three (3) hours later I was still wide eyed and   pointing at something gorgeous.  I thought northern California was beautiful (See Day 62-77) but this was so different because it was not developed. As my friend pointed out, at times it seemed like we were on the moon or another planet.  It was virgin  land giving a glimpse of  what California  looked like to the early settlers, or to the Spanish explorers.  This place took you back in time and was a display of the complexity and  loveliness of  this earth.   
Spiritual Refection
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well (Psalm 139:14).

Other Sources
Torrey Pines Association http://www.torreypines.org/