Monday, September 21, 2015

Day 136 Water Skiing, revisit past interests

(Since  I am employed in the school system  the first few weeks of school are “crazy busy", thus the blog hiatus)
       

As summer comes to a close a September warm sunny day is a  day  to savor, especially in Pittsburgh where sunshine is rare.  This  week was filled with a few “Indian summer” days and I had an invitation  to enjoy a day on a boat.  I thought it was just going to be a boat ride so I was surprised when I also had the opportunity  to water ski, something that I have not done in over 8 years.  




Eight years ago I bounced up on  the water with the first boat pull like a jack-in- the box. This time,  the first pull ended in a  face plant. I thought, “Oh no, maybe I can’t do this anymore and I will have to  shamefully get  back into the boat.”  As one of my blog inspiration books put it, “Don’t despair.  Just keep swimming! Eventually you will come up into the sunshine” (from Everything I Need To Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book). So that is just what I did and after the 4th try- I was up!


Reflection
It felt great to be on top of the water again! I even was brave enough to venture  back and forth over the wake and I tried to get  the skies on their  edge. The air was warm, the sun was shining, and I was smiling ear to ear  because  I did not make a fool of myself.  On a side note, years ago I did not remember my back so feeling sore or my arms getting so shaky  as quickly  but even so, I managed to stay up a while.  Maybe next time I will try using only one ski!  
Revisiting the beloved things that you have not done in a long time and giving  them a try again is definitely going to stay in my survival tool box. By tackling your past passions you feel a little younger and for a moment  feel as if you stalled the "sands of time" even if its  harder to start this time around.  Maybe I will get out my roller blades again. 

Spiritual Reflection
So don’t get tired of doing, what is good. Don’t get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time. Galatians 6:9

Other Sources
http://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/work/249219/everything-i-need-to-know-i-learned-from-a-disney-little-golden-book-disney/