Thursday, February 12, 2015

Day 101 Pittsburgh Symphony POPS, Chris Botti



Swoon The Night Away


Since this is the month of love, thanks to Hallmark and TV commercials, it seemed appropriate to  go see the “dreamy” trumpet player, Chris Botti who was playing with the Pittsburgh Symphony  Orchestra  as part of the POPS series.  I saw his  PBS special  in Boston  and just  fell in love with his  sound and  his engaging  performance. Love and belonging needs are third on Maslow's  hierarchy of things that we all need to master before reaching our best or Self –Actualization.   So with a CD titled, When I Fall In Love ,  this new challenge was to  see Chris Botti and have a romantic evening of music and relaxation which is always good for the soul. 


Reflection
The POPS  are a great way to hear  the symphony  preform music other than traditional classical. It's the symphony with a unique presentation (see POPS 2014-12 season).  This concert was called “Swoon the Night Away” and that is  just what I did.  Chris Botti is such a smooth performer with an even more smooth sound.  As in Day 15, I  have always loved Jazz. This show  brought back my childhood memories of when my dad would play Miles Davis records, (Yes I said records-shh).

Ben Butler (guitarist) and George Komsky (singer)
Throughout the show he featured his very talented band of a jazz pianist, guitar player, base player, and drummer.  He also had a phenomenal   violinist and two singers- one  in the jazz genre and one who sang Italian songs and looked Italian but was not. (I made that mistake when we ran into him after the show at a restaurant. I should have known better with a name like George Komsky).  

Chris Botti’s  question and answer session after the show  gave his audience a glimpse of a real person. My date, who slept through most of the Cambodian Ballet in Day 83 even liked  the show. Maybe it was because Chris Botti played with and was  influenced by Sting.  I swooned a bit when I got his autograph but it was more about the music and my company that  fueled my "swoonyness."

Spiritual Reflection  
Listen, and I will tell you where to get food that is good for the soul! Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, for the life of your soul is at stake. I am ready to make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you mercies and unfailing love that I promised to David (Isaiah 55:2-3)
 
Other sources: