Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 83 Royal Ballet of Cambodia



t

Little Golden Book "Daddies" 1953


I love to watch dance and I have a passion for the ballet so it easy for me to “take in some culture” as Little Golden Books recommends.  My running joke is that, “ I will marry the first guy who willingly goes to the ballet with me.”  I have  not found that one guy yet but  luckily some go and  pretend to find it interesting.  I had no idea what to expect when I decided to try the Cambodian Ballet but  to obtain self -actualization I thought I should behave as Maslow suggested and “try new things instead of sticking to safe paths” (Maslow Theory) .


Reflection
This was truly  an immersion in Cambodian culture. The dance was so very different from how we dance  in the United States. The costumes were uniquely beautiful as were the dancers.  The movement was like watching a movie in slow  motion with every move being  precise and isolated.  The women had memorizing eyes and just a slight turn of there face or head changed the feel of the dance. It reminded me of a cobra in a snake charmers basket, relaxing and hypnotic. The music was nothing like our music and after a few songs, I must admit, the music was a bit too
monotonous for me.  I enjoyed my brief visit to Cambodia this evening because it’s differences  expanded my view of the world.  Maslow would have been proud me- as for  my date, he slept through most of it!
 (click to watch it here)


Spiritual Reflection. 
 In the Old Testament story, Joseph's brothers sold him into slavery because they were jealous of their fathers favoritism toward him. Joseph later became very powerful in Egypt and his brothers feared that he would retaliate but he acted with kindness ending the hatred.

But Joseph told them"Don't be afraid of me. Am I God, to judge and punish you?..No,  don't be afraid. Indeed, I myself will take care of you and your families" And he spoke very kindly to them, reassuring them. (Genesis 50:19 and 21)

 Other Sources 
Tour of Royal Ballet of Cambodia  https://www.facebook.com/events/1428959944022191/
Maslow"s theory http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
Royal Ballet of Cambodia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ballet_of_Cambodia