Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 24, 25, 26 Lake Person Now-Deep Creek


The simplest  things can bring joy and contentment.
Please see Day 1 if this is your first Blog visit
[I have not relinquished on my mission to do a daily blog this summer but three (3)days post in one blog is due to the lack internet access at the lake]
I have always been a beach person. In fact, the beach  has been a yearly thing with me but this is a new  journey and   Little Golden Books reminds us to, “try new things.” Thus, I accepted an invitation to try a lake escape weekend.  
Reflection  

Taj Mahal where we stayed
When I arrived I had no idea that I was going to the Taj Mahal of lake properties, with a spiral staircase, private dock, landscape better than a 5 star hotel, and a bedroom the size of my living room -not to mention the bath. Even so, the best part was just the simple things that we did and the exploration of new friendships.  
I was also trying to squeeze in some time and make some memories with my son before my nest is really empty. I thought, “what am I going to do at the lake to make it memorable.”  I remembered one the lines from my Cyrano de Bergerac friend, “It can be exhausting just trying to make it all great for your kids and keep them happy.”  

 
The first two days were picture perfect, sun, blue skies and puffy clouds , with a  shore line of trees. We relaxed on the dock watching the boats and we all jumped off the dock to swim. I must admit that I did not jump but that my son and his friend threw me into the water. However this beach girl was surprised that the water was so refreshing-no grit, no sand scratching, no waves beating me up like a washing machine and no salt residue.
We kayaked  and played badminton, which was a flash back game from my childhood. It was funny
to see my tennis player son act so competitive.   We also had a few mean games of pool and I actually won a game, with the help of my host as a partner. Of course I did the victory dance when I beat my son!
Tubing with my son

We also took a few pontoon boat rides. This was  new for me because in the past,  I spent time skiing or riding ski boats which tosses you around. This  ride was powerful but smooth. Our friends were gracious enough to take the boys tubing and of course this mom had to give it try. Forget the smooth ride now but luckily there was a hot tub. 
One of the best parts of this weekend was  just getting to know my girlfriend, her husband and their daughter better. They really had a contagious “ laid  back” demeanor .  Before the trip, I remember asking her what there was to do at the lake and she said “we just hang out.” She was right  and the simple things made this lake weekend special. Notwithstanding the Taj  Mahal  and the 99 cent hot dogs-I am now a lake person.  Anyone else a lake person?

Spiritual Reflection
You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever (Psalm 16:11)
The relationship with the Lord gives contentment and satisfaction even in difficult circumstances.
Other sources
Deep Creek Visitor guide http://www.visitdeepcreek.com/