Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Day 28-Support a Friend, a Cause- Alzheimers

Tuesday July 29th Blog

(Please see Day 1 "Why this Blog" if this is your first visit)

Support  a new cause when you can.
My friend who is on the board for the Alzheimers's Association,  invited me to a breakfast to rally support for the walk on October 11, 2014. Here is the kicker, the breakfast was at 7am at PNC Hall of Fame Club. Thus, I started this day very early but for a good cause and more importantly, to support my friend.

 
Reflection
I have participated in walks for various causes but not for Alzheimer’s. This disease brings to mind the  movie,  The Notebook,  where a love story is repetitively  retold by a husband to his wife because she can not remember. Likewise, a  friend recommended a book, Still Alice, about a 50 year old Harvard professor that struggled with the disease.  At the breakfast this morning, the radio Master of Ceremony’s eyes watered  and voice quivered, when she recalled her own father’s struggle.  I thought, “you never know the trials that others are enduring.”  I wondered how many people have been affected by this disease, a disease with no cure.  






Then I learned from the  fact vidio  that Alzheimers is the 6th leading cause of death. I was astonished how often this disease affects women- 60% of the cases are women. The testimonials  of three people who were diagnosed  in their 40’s, 50’s ,and 60’s and who are fighting before they forget,  impacted me to walk for them.   As one speaker put it, we all have a brain, and this disease takes away the essence of who we are.   
Many of us support different causes and we can’t do all the walks. However, in my new tool box, I will remember to try support a new cause when I can, stay informed, or support a friend's cause. I am walking on Eveline Young team on October 11 this year! Join me on Eveline's team.






Being aware of social causes is also part of Maslow journey to self actualization or reaching the best you can be.    As noted in the Everything I need to know I learned from a Little Golden Book, “savor the season as they roll around”  and do not take the time for granted.

Spiritual Reflection
Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything. (James 1:2-4)
Life trials are difficult when you are going through them but when your make it to the other side with Gods help, you can use the experience to reach out to others.  
Other sources
 Alzheimer’s association http://alz.org/
Alzheimer’s Facts you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeuks1-3Z4