Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Day 338 Urban Hike- Pull Yourself out of the Sedentary Saturday Morning Quicksand for an Exercise Learning Adventure




My blog inspiration book, Everything I Need to Know I Learned from A Little Golden Book reminds us to “get some exercise every day.”  I have added new physical activities to my repertoire during this empty-nest challenge to try new  things such as: lawn bowling (Day 34) swing dancing (Day 18) and snorkeling Day 292 ). That being said, on a Saturday morning there is a heightened gravitational pull to stay put and sit in my comfy chair, sip my coffee and watch the morning news.  A morning hike is usually not on my to do list.  Urban Hike's monthly hikes are worth pulling out of this Saturday morning quicksand for an exercise and Pittsburgh learning experience.   


Refection
A Facebook post on  Urban Hike’s  9 am “Chatham University & Surroundings Hike” peaked my interest. On a rare Pittsburgh sunny morning with nothing much on my plate, I found the courage to go it solo.  At 8 am I  grabbed a breakfast bar, water bottle and raced out the door. I drove a little faster than I should have to get  across town to start this adventure.

 I must have looked a little frantic running to the meeting spot at 8:55 am because a nice women walked over and helped me settle in. She was a veteran Urban Hiker and explained that the hikes are usually  challenging and coupled with an informative exploration of the city. I gained an enjoyable walking partner and assimilated into this friendly group.

We received a map that identified the landmarks featured on the hike. During this crisp morning invigorating walk,  I  learned  that the Greek looking structure on Fifth Avenue was in 1892 a  spring water fountain and that one of the Chatham building housed a 1989 Tiffany window. The Chatham campus (founded in 1869 as a Female College) burst with flowers, greenery, and historic buildings. I was on a Pittsburgh expedition as we climbed stairs, walked cobble stone streets, passed the massive Hunt Armory  and more.


Ending in Mellon Park’s Walled Garden, I discovered a new place to watch a sunset. We were encouraged to visit at night and enjoy the garden lights that supposedly mirrored  the night sky on the day that the park donor’s daughter was born.

Urban Hike  transformed an otherwise sedentary morning into an adventurous  challenging exercise  endeavor. I will definitely break free from the "quicksand"of my comfy chair again and join  another Saturday morning Urban Hike.

(Go to urbanhike.com or like them on Facebook for more information on the next hike)

Mellon Park-Walled Garden
Spiritual Source
Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it"(Isaiah 30: 21)

Other Sources