Sunday, December 24, 2017

Day 258 Home For the Holidays-Local Talent


One of my blog inspiration books reminds us that at Christmas, “make time for family and friends” and as we do, we often come home for the holidays (from Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book). Home for the Holidays was all about our local musical talent coming home to Pittsburgh and celebrating and sharing their  music of  rock, blues, and soul, with all of us.


Pittsburgh Winery wine tasting
Reflection

Home for the Holidays was collaboration of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust and the  Pittsburgh Winery.  The Pittsburgh Winery in the past has hosted a variety of interesting musical talent (see Day 169 and Day 170). There was wine tasting before the show and I must admit that the Pittsburgh Winery makes some good wines.

 Home for the Holidays was a showcase  for  variety of  hometown guests:

Margot Bingham (from Boardwalk Empire Band), Scott Blasey (from The Clarks), Clinton Clegg (from The Commonheart), Bill Deasy (from The Gathering Field), Kelsey Friday (from Brownie Mary), Kevin GarrettJoy IkeJimbo Jackson (from Jimbo and the Soupbones), Phil MacDowell (from Buzz Poets) with Florraine DarlinBilly Price, and Lyndsey Smith (from Soul Distribution).

 Most of the artists preformed a holiday song, giving it their own personal style, and then sang an original or a non-traditional holiday piece. The concert had more of an overall smooth jazz/soul than rock feel. The show opened  with The Steel Town Horns and Shady Brass. Joy Ikes  started off the vocals with a jazzy rendition of  “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and it kept on going from there.  

I had not heard some of these  artists before but like all good musicians, they can win you over with their talent. I enjoyed Keven Garrett at the piano playing “This Christmas” and the show had a punch of energy with the powerful and soulful Lyndsey Smith, who reminded me of  Aretha Franklin (ok dating myself now).  


My son is home for the holidays
The lighting with its changing  backdrop of color, falling snowflakes and Pittsburgh scenes augmented the show. As a native of Pittsburgh, I enjoyed the Pittsburgh bridge scenes and the Kaufman clock that was injected into the background of the performances.

I could see this show with a slightly more upbeat vibe and with more holiday classics, becoming another Pittsburgh holiday tradition. I am going to look for this show next year  when “our own come home for the holidays” !

(See trustarts.org  to find more interesting shows to celebrate the season and to enjoy in the new year!)

Spiritual Source
In my Father's house are many dwelling places;if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. (John 14:2)


Other Sources
Pittsburgh Winery https://www.pittsburghwinery.com/
Pittsburgh Cultural Trust https://trustarts.org