Friday, November 3, 2017

November Preview of Upcoming Events

Since this blog is  all about keeping a forward trajectory in midst of change and reaching your personal best, I wanted to preview some of my planned experiences in  the hope  that it will inspire some to join in. As Dale Carnegie once said, "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." Let's all get busy!

Phipps Conservatory Winder show November 26, 2017


The weeks before the holiday often involve that panic rush feeling "to get it all done.” We forget, as my blog inspiration book, Everything I Learned About Christmas, I Learned From A Little Golden Book, reminds us that Christmas should be a “time of wonder, a time like no other time of the year.”  At Phipps Conservatory,  the beauty brings back the wonder of the season (see Day 180).

This year Phipps is trying a new ticketing reservation system so that you can book your time in advance. That seems like a great idea so that you do not have a  mob of people during your visit and you can relax with the beauty of the season. I am excited to try this new system  and experience once again the winter wonderland at the Phipps.

(Join me and make a new timed ticketing reservation to book your visit at phipps.conservatory.org . The winder show opens Friday, Nov. 24)
Blog  Post click here

Charlie Brown Christmas  Live on Stage-at the Byham Theater-November 24th-


I have always loved the 1965 animated television special  Charlie Brown Christmas and who doesn’t love that twig of a  tree.  This iconic cartoon is a Christmas tradition for my son and I.  What better way to kick off the Holiday Season than with “"Charlie Brown Christmas-Live on Stage".  So even  though this is for families why shouldn't  “kids at heart” like me also enjoy the magic?  I was ready to experience all my favorite characters  live and kick off the season  just  like a kid even if I will be sitting among a bunch of kids!

( Join me for Charlie Brown Christmas at the Byaham on Nov 24 with two shows, 1pm and 4pm.
For tickets go to https://trustarts.org/production/54723/a-charlie-brown-christmas)

Blog Post  click here

Motown the Musical -Pittsburgh Broadway Series at the Benedum- November 21-26



I have always loved the Motown sound. If you are like me, you feel some kind of  connection to it that  always brings your feet moving, your head bopping and your mouth singing. I was ready to experience that Motown sound and see the story of Berry Gordy who launched the careers of Smokey Robinson, Steve Wonder, Diana Ross and Michel Jackson and more! Blog Post click here

(Motown the Musical runs through Nov 21-26 (excluding Nov 23) at the Benedum Center. For tickets go to Pittsburgh Cultural Trust.) 


The Humans –PPT at the O’Reilly Theater -November 16, 2017 ( runs Nov 9 to Dec 10)

One of my Blog inspiration books, Everything I Learned about FAMILY I Learned From a Little Golden Book reminds us that, “Family life is made of moments, big and small, moments that bind us over time…times that give us a sense of belonging”.  The play The Humans is about the dynamics of a middle class family that gather for Thanksgiving dinner. Bridgid invites her parents, sister and grandmother from Scranton PA,  to  join her and her boyfriend in New York’s Chinatown. If her Irish Catholic family is anything my Italian Catholic family there is sure to be laughter and some serious drama at the table. I can’t wait to see what happens in The Humans on November 16, 2017.  
Blog Post here

 (The Humans runs November 9-December 10, 2017 at the O’Reilly Theater for tickets go to https://ppt.org/production/51425/the-humans)

The Color Purple-Pittsburgh Broadway Series at the Benedum - November 14-19


The Color Purple- Nov. 14-19 at the Benedum


The Color Purple is a story about a women (Celcie) who triumphs over life’s hardships to become, as my blog inspired physiologist Maslow would say, her personal best.  I can’t  wait to experience This  women’s uplifting  journey based on the book, The Color Purple which is packed with a gospel, jazz, soul and blues musical score. Blog  post click here

(to join me for tickets go to https://trustarts.org/production/52181/the-color-purple

Marriage of Figaro –Pittsburgh Opera - November 10, 2017
Marriage of Figaro-Pittsburgh Opera (Nov 4,7,10 and 12th)
There is nothing better than a good laugh, especially when there  seems to be an endless trail of “doom and gloom” stories in the news. The Marriage of Figaro with music by Mozart is a comic opera!  There are mistaken identities and fun love triangles. This  might be my first opera where someone does not die from a self infliction or is killed in the name of love!

 I have discovered  a new interest in the opera during  my empty-nest period. They all seem  to be such “larger than life” productions with extravagant  sets,  powerful voices and beautiful symphonic music.  I am expecting the same from this show but with a twist of laughter  from our  Pittsburgh Opera talent in the production of the Marriage of Figaro (November 4, 10, 12, 2017) at the Benadum Center for the Arts.  Blog Post  here

4x4 Ephemeral Architectures at Wilson Center -November 4th, 2017
4x4 Ephemeral Architecture -Nov 4th August Wilson Center
In this quest for something different - how about a show that merges ballet with juggling?  Renowned juggler, Sean Gandini, and the Royal Ballet dancer, Ludovic Ondiviala, combine their talents in the show, 4x4: Ephemeral Architectures on Saturday November 4, 2017 at the August Wilson Center.

This show that opened during the  2015 London International Mime Festival at the Royal Opera House continues to receive rave reviews. I am ready for my first  contemporary circus experience that  sounds wonderfully inventive and beautiful.  

Blog Post  here at Day 245 4x4 Ephemeral Architectures-Ballet and Juggling -Beautifully Intimate