Thursday, November 30, 2017

Day 251 Phipps Conservatory -Wonder of the Season- New Show- New Timed Entry



The weeks surrounding  the Holiday Season often involve that panic rush feeling "to get it all done.” We forget, as my blog inspiration book, Everything I Learned About Christmas, I Learned From A Little Golden Book, reminds us that Christmas should be a “time of wonder, a time like no other time of the year.”   Phipps Conservatory is a place were you can escape into a world of beautiful plants and lights and relax, feeling the wonder of the season (see Day 180).



 I have enjoyed the winter show in the past. I have decided to make it a tradition in my empty nest period but I do not always enjoy the crowds during this show. This year the Conservatory is trying a new ticketing reservation system so that you can book your time in advance. That seemed like a great idea so that you do not have a  mob of people during your visit. I was excited to try the new system  and once again experience the winter wonderland at the Phipps.

Reflection
The ascetics found in  natural beauty  has a way of relaxing the soul. The plants, flowers and lights always put me in the holiday spirit.  That being said, the experience is so much more enjoyable when you are not  following a line of people through the 14 rooms.

Frazer Fur has 14,000 LEDs


The new on line ticketing reservation system was  easy to book a time in advance at phipps.conservatory.org .  They book 300 people every 30 minutes. It reminded me of  the Disney World timed ride tickets. 

We went during prime time on this  Thanksgiving weekend. We still had a bit of a line but it was not as bad as last year. The crowd seemed to clear out about 8 pm. Since the Phipps is open nightly until 11 pm, I suggest going after 8 pm for a more peaceful experience (we empty- nesters don’t have kids to worry about).  
















The Conservatory is decorated with 55,000 LED lights with an additional 14,000 LED lights on the massive Frazer fir in the Victoria Room. The 62,000 square feet of the outside Winter Garden sparkled with so many lights that there seemed to be a picture perfect stop everywhere. I walked through this garden keeping warm with a  hot coco bought  at the outdoor stand.

Sunken Garden /Family Feast theme

The railroad had a Treasure Island theme this year with a smoking volcano and I enjoyed watching the children’s excitement when they found the treasure. I always love the serpentine room with its trees and brilliant colors. There are 24 different cultivated varieties of poinsettias in the over 2,300 used in this year’s show!  

Everyone in my group seemed to have a favorite room. I enjoyed the Sunken Garden with its Family Feast theme of highlighting traditional family meals during the holidays with a beautifully set  dinner table set  among the flowers.



Sometimes I just focused on the green foliage and  bypassed all the lights and just looked up at the trees  in amazement at the wonder found in nature. It is a winter wonderland no matter how you enjoy it!



(To book your ticket reservation visit go to  phipps.conservatory.org . The winter show timed entry runs from Nov. 24 until Jan 7th  and the show is  open from 9:30 am to 11:00 pm daily)


Spiritual Reflection
The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love. (Psalm 35:5)