Monday, November 27, 2017

Day 250 Charlie Brown Christmas-Live on Stage-Holiday Season Kick Off Like a Kid


I  have always loved the  1965 animated television special Charlie Brown Christmas  and who doesn’t love that twig of a  tree.  This iconic cartoon is a Christmas tradition for my son and I.  I thought that the  "Charlie Brown Christmas-Live on Stage" would be a great way to kick off the Holiday Season.  So even  though this show  is for families I thought- why shouldn't “kids at heart” like me also enjoy the magic?  I was ready to experience all my favorite characters and kick off the season  just  like a kid even if I would be sitting among a bunch of kids!



Reflection
There were both “big” and real kids in the audience enjoying this familiar Charles M. Schulz comic strip story.  The best part was the live musical trio with Schroeder on piano and Pig- Pen on drums 
 that played all the familiar Peanuts tunes during the show.  I loved this jazzy music and when the  Peanuts gang started their toe dance (watch here).

sing along at the end 

As I looked around at the audience I enjoyed watching the stares of children as they focused on the show and especially the sound of children laughing. Even the big kid to my right, my date, seemed to be enjoying this familiar story of the real meaning of Christmas.

My favorite part  was when the spotlight found Linus and he gave  his monologue from the Bible explaining to Charlie Brown what Christmas is all about. This part  of the story always evokes a personal feeling of  peace and is my reminder to  try and  curb the commercial  urges  of the season (watch here).   

The show ended with a 15 minute fun sing along that contained all of my favorite Christmas songs and concluded with a jazzy, “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”. 

I am now energized to tackle the holiday. As I do, I will remember to  keep it simple, enjoy it like a kid, and focus on what Christmas is all about to me!  (To find the Charlie Brown Christmas Live tour near your click here)

(Go to the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust  to see more upcoming events that might get you in the spirit of the season. )



Spiritual Reflection
 (Linus's Christmas Speech)
And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them and the glory of the Lord shone round about them and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, “Fear not for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger”

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace good will toward men”
(Luke 2:8-14)

Other Sources
Find show near you https://www.acharliebrownchristmaslive.com/