Sunday, October 23, 2016

Day 172 Colbie Caillat-Carnegie Music Hall in Homestead/ Personal touch/ Malibu


 I first saw Colbie Caillat on the Today Show  over  10 years ago. She was playing her first solo hit single, “Bubbly.”  I loved her pop/jazz/soft sound and I ran out and  got her  first CD, CoCo .  I still love every song on that CD.  I was surprised to see that she was coming to a small venue, the Carnegie Music Hall  in Homestead. Even on a week night, I was off to rediscover her  and check out this music venue.  What I discovered was great music delivered with a personal touch.




Enjoying the show with my friend  of  35 years
 

Reflection
Carnegie Music Hall, built in 1896  is beautiful,  and with only  1,000 seats, every  seat  is great.  This place reminded me of  the Chicago Theater (see Day 154) where I saw Death Cab for Cutie. The hall  was the perfect  intimate place for her style.  

She told a story prior to playing each  song on her new CD, Malibu Sessions.  You could tell that she loved this CD because it was a  collaboration with the people she loved the most: her fiancĂ©,  her friend and co-song writer for the last 10 years, his wife, and their dogs. They were all  positioned stage  front, as  if to say  that they were all equal.  The only exception was that the dog walked or sat wherever he wanted.
Malibu Sessions tour 
The songs were written either at her beach house in Malibu or in Kaui, which is my favorite island in Hawaii. She explained why she wrote each song and the events that inspired them. I could visualize the group having fun, enjoying a libation, jamming, and writing. The songs were all good but her  stories   made me want to go out and get the CD-genius Colbie. 

My favorite story was the inspiration for the song “Curzin .”   It evolved after watching children play on the beach  naked and carefree. They thought, “why do we lose this stress free play as we get older” and tried to capture freedom in the song.  This  theme was just like my last post about the play, Finding Neverland (see Day 171), which is a story about  tapping into our inner child.
 We all want to enjoy that  carefree feeling in life and to be  surrounded by our friends and loved ones. Carefree and enjoyment  fueled by people you love is  just how the concert felt. Yes the music was great, but her  personal style made it fantastic. Yes l loved her singing, but  I think liked Colbie Cailatt, the person more.
Try to catch her  personal touch on this tour ( see tour schedule) . I also suggest seeing a concert at   Carnegie Music Hall because the  venue  has a way of also giving a show that "personal touch" (Carnegie Music Hall Calender ).
Street View of Music Hall- built 1896
 Spiritual Reflection
 I Command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. And here is how to measure it-the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends. You are my friends if you obey me.  I no longer call you servants, because a master doesn't confide in his servants. Now you are my friends, I have  told you everything the Father told me. (John 12-15)
Other sources

http://colbiecaillat.com/
Colbie Caillat music http://www.last.fm/music/Colbie+Caillat
Music Hall http://www.librarymusichall.com/about/
CoCo https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLslpdFce6v7HojejMYSC3XJ_slRr45y3y 
Cruizin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x06p2vuDugs        
Malibu Sessionshttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=malibu+sessions+colbie+caillat