Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 166 Trip with Mom-Bradenton Florida



Two years ago, right after starting this blog, I took my mother to the beach with my cousin. Before that, it had been over 10 years since I had a trip  with my mother.   I always traveled with my son, a significant other, or friends. When my mother would  ask about  going on vacation together,  I was busy with life and just like in the  song  Cat's In The Cradled, responded :

"I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then."
In this empty nest period even though you're still a parent to your child, it's like retirement  because your child is now an adult and busy with his/her  life. My mother turned 80 this year! It’s time to try a new kind of vacation, one with my mother.   

Reflection
I have childhood memories of  going to the beach every year. We would arrive at 9am and not leave until 5pm, eating our lunch on the beach and riding the waves. This time we arrived a little later and left a little earlier but I saw the same love for the beach in my mother’s eyes  and her joy swimming in the salt water without knee pain.
Mom loving her swim
 
We laughed about having to find a special big wheeled chair to push her on the long beach and how this chair was a “man magnet.”    My mom met a bunch of men who came to our rescue like " knights in shining armor" when I struggled to push the thing in the sand.
Our beach transport
 
My father said just the other day, “time goes faster as you get older”.  Thus, I recommend slowing it down by taking some time with your parents and even trying a trip with them. It might not be a fast paced vacation with all that  hustle and bustle but it’s well worth  having new special memories with the people who love you the most- your parents. Love you mom!
Mom getting a push from some eye candy ;)
 



Spiritual Reflection
Then he [Jesus at age 12] returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them [parent's];and his mother stored all these things in her heart. (Luke 2:51)
 
 
 
 
Other Sources
Bradenton Florida http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/bradenton.html
listen to Cat's In The Cradle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c