Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 130 Deck Refurbish With Warranty Use




stain after stripping and cleaning
 Two years after my attempt to stain my deck it looked very grey and shabby. I still had some of the stain. The  4 YEAR WARRANTY  on the can was staring back at me  in big letters. I thought, “ I wonder  if this warranty really works?”  So even though I did not have high expectations, since I am not sure that I  followed all the steps the first time, I called the Behr Company and inquired about the stain warranty.  After  sending  them the receipt and a picture, all the supplies that I needed to refurbish the deck came delivered to my home!  I had no excuse now to not follow all three (3) steps and  even though I am not  a “handy type of girl”- I planned my deck project.    
deck before started



Reflection
 Taking responsibility and working hard is behavior that leads to self-actualization, or fulfillment and change through personal growth, according to my blog inspiration- Maslow’s SA theory.  This seemed like a big project (my deck runs along the entire house) to tackle for me but luckily my father was willing to lend some support with step 1- stripping, and step 2- cleaning. Even with his help it took us 4 hours! The next day, my cousin was free to help with step 3-the staining and that took  4 more hours! So I guess I got the hard work behavior credit needed for personal growth in Maslow’s theory with this project.

deck after stain/hammock in the back
After looking at the results, my advice is to follow all the steps that the company recommends and don’t be afraid to use the warranty.   From my hammock I can now look at my deck with pride. I  now have bragging rights when someone admires my deck because - I did it! 
(with the help of my  awesome father and cousin)

Spiritual Reflection
Work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty!
 (Proverbs 14:23)
This should be your ambitions: to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we commanded you before. As a result, people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others to meet your financial needs. (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)
Other sources
 Maslow Theory made simple http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
Behr How to Stain http://www.behr.com/consumer/how-to/stain
http://www.behr.com/consumer/