Thursday, August 13, 2015

Day 131 Beer Fest




I am not much of a beer drinker or even a drinker at all , so  a beer  fest would be the most  unlikely place for me to end up but it turned out to be so much fun and I learned a lot. Now I know you are thinking, “who learns at a beer fest" because it is supposed  to be about drinking a lot of beer, but for me it was about asking questions, taking notes, learning about beer and making new friends.

  


My blog inspiration new book, “Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book,” states, “Warning: your journey may take you out of your comfort zone! Do it anyway.” Thus, I accepted a last minute invite to my first Brewfest, the  9th Annual  Millvale Event. (10th annual Brewfest is Aug 16,2016)

Reflection
Last Saturday I had nothing to do but my “do nothing day” turned into a full day of action and play. My neighbor and I biked along the river trail and as we passed tents we learned about the event.   At first I  contemplated  just getting the food ticket to socialize with my friends and avoid sitting at home on a Saturday night but I was convinced to try the whole experience. 


 There were over 180 beers at this thing! I wonder if there is a number  that changes an event from a “tasting” into a “fest “or maybe drinking beer is always a “fest” and drinking wine is always a “tasting”? I should have asked someone  at the beer festival that question. 

In any event, I enjoyed tasting a lot of  beers and I was surprised  how different they tasted.   I learned that “hoppy beer” is more bitter and a “lager beer” is aged 6 weeks to 6 months using a colder temperature in the process. There were beers with coffee and strawberry tastes (Lancaster Brewing Co.), some with crazy names like “Stinky Hippie” (North Country Brewing Co.), many had a “Firehouse Ale” (Shu Brewing Co.) and IPA’s from 4% to 11%. I tended to like the low IPA beers and my two favorites were “Sharpshooter” (Great Lakes Brewing Co.) and “Block House Summer Break”  (Pittsburgh Brewing Co.)

These “fests” can be a lot of fun in  moderation and the food was great. I made new friends and bumped into old friends (commonplace wherever you go in Pittsburgh). I now know a little more about the art  of beer making. My friends said that I was a nerd for asking so many questions and taking notes but I was given all kinds of free gifts from the venders so who is laughing now. 

Spiritual Reflection
So go ahead. Eat your food and drink your wine with a happy heart ..(Ecclesiastes 9: 7)
Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. ..(Ephesian 5:18)
Other Sources