Sunday, August 23, 2015

Day 134 German Club/Wing Night




Pittsburgh’s industrial  history attracted many immigrants which resulted in the  rich ethnic  mix here. In Deutschtown, on the North Side of Pittsburgh, you can find the German club, Teutonia Mannerchor. I have passed the building and admired the beauty of the flower gardens surrounding  the sign but I have never been to one of their events.  Everthing I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Disney Golden Book reminds us that, "The world is full of magical places …be curious” and therefore, I accepted an invite to wing night with friends who are club members.  




The club's website states that its purpose is to, "further  choral singing, promote German cultural tradition and extend good fellowship." I did not hear any singing but the food was great, everyone was friendly, and the beer was plentiful- I assume that is a German cultural tradition. 

Sweet Sour wings with Soul Style Indian Pale Ale( 6.5%)
 There were 4 (four) courses of different kinds of wings and  of course  a beer which supposedly  complemented the type of wing.  I heard of wine going with different foods, i.e. fish and meat, but beer?  It would seem to me that  beer would always go with wings but the wings tasted delicious so maybe it was the pairing beer accent. 
Spicy with West Cost (double IPA with 5 Hops) 8.1%
The featured brewery was  Green Flash.  I am not sure how the month of August turned into a beer month for me. My first beer fest was a few weeks ago (see Day 131 Beer Fest ).  Maybe  I am enjoying  beer a little more  because of my new found  knowledge about it or maybe it's just because  of the company that I am keeping – who knows!  

Double Stout (Black) with sauce made from the beer 8.8% 
 It was a great night of good food and fellowship with friends. Find a friend to take you to one of their  wing night events and say “umpa.”

Spiritual Reflection

So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that this pleasure is from the hand of God (Ecclesiastes 2:24)

Other sources:
Teutonia Mannerchor http://www.pghmannerchor.com/
Green Flash Brewery http://www.greenflashbrew.com/