Saturday, February 28, 2015

Day 105 PPT-My Fair Lady-relationships




Cousins at the theater
 In this month of love  a perfect way to end  February is with the musical, My Fair Lady, which is all about a love relationship between a man and women from different “classes.”  Experiencing a musical in a small venue like Pittsburgh Public Theater (PPT) and going with my cousin were both new experiences but seeing shows has always been one of  my passions (see Day 90).  I think that I love the  “classic” type musicals most because they are  “happy” plays which lift your spirits  when  the inevitable punch of life hits you.  

 
PPT  2014-15 Season

Reflection
The movie My Fair Lady  came out in 1964 and even though  the songs are a different era,  I noticed how accurately they capture the feel of, and apply to, the beginning, middle, and end of  any relationship. 

When you first meet someone  that you really like you get that  adrenaline  “novacaine" feeling  and you  can’t get enough of them. The song, On the Street Where You Live, captures that  excitement  when the admirer sings, “I am several stories high knowing I am on the street where you live.”  Likewise, getting insomnia  from thinking about them is captured by the song, I Could Have Danced All Night.
 
How about when you of hear  words like “I love you” from someone  but think that it’s just a word. The song, Show Me,  passionately  reminds us,  “never do I want to hear another word…don’t waste my time, show me!”   Likewise, if  you have  an argument or  a break up you realize, as  in the song Without You, that “the world will go on without you.”

In the end,  if  they leave you might miss many of the little things that you took for granted. This is captured in I'v Grown Accustomed To Her Face. However if it was the “right person” like at the end of the play, you find a comfortable deeper love  with that person.

Ah it's life and love all wrapped up in one  play! That is why I love the theater.  Find yourself a good play maybe at PPT !

Spiritual Reflection
 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. (1 Corinthians 12:4-8).

Other Sources
Pittsburgh Public Theater http://www.ppt.org/