Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 98 Sunrises and Sunsets-San Diego



Sunrise Mission Bay
Who does not love the beach?  Since my childhood I have been a  yearly summer beach visitor who routinely plopped down in the sand, did not move  for the entire day, and relaxed.  However  during this new journey, it’s novel for me to go to the coast during the winter or  “off season.”    When  leaving what seems to be the perpetual gray skies from January to March in Pittsburgh, this “off season” experience gave me a heightened appreciation for the simple  beauty of sunrises and sunsets and just a simple sunny day even if it was not quite warm enough to swim.  


Sunrise Pacific Beach San Diego
When   thinking about love, as Little Golden Books reminds us, “sometimes the most memorial dates are the simplest ones.”   Likewise in  Maslow ‘s theory, having a deep appreciation for basic life-experiences is a characteristic  of one who is Self-Actualized . So off to San Diego, Mission Bay area, I went to soak in the natural beauty.

Sunset La Jolla Beach San Diego


Reflection
Sunny Day- Mission Bay on left, Pacific Beach on right 

Just having the sun shine made all the colors of San Diego seem like they were on steroids.  
 Since I am now an empty-nester, I don’t just have to go to the beach in the summer when my son is out of school. I loved the beach on this trip because there were no crowds, plenty of room to bike and walk the cost, and just enjoy the natural beauty. The vibrant  sunrises and sunset  were  breath taking from the Catamaran resort.  I was up at 5:30am every morning to watch the sun rise. (It might have also been that my body was on east coast time but I was awake in any event.) 

Sunset La Jolla

 I have a habit of picking a word that I think sums each of my trips. This trip was just all around “delicious!” 

Spiritual Reflection
The heavens tell of the glory of God.
   The skies display his marvelous craftsmanship.
Day after day they continue to speak;
  night after night they make him known...
(Psalm 19:1,2)
The Sun lives in the heavens
  where God placed it.
It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom
  after his wedding.
It rejoices like a great athlete
  eager to run the race.
The sun rises at one end of the heavens 
  and follows its course to the other end.
 (Psalm 19:5,6)

Other Sources
San Diego Guide http://www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches/mission-beach.aspx
Maslow Theory http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
Catamaran resort  http://www.catamaranresort.com/