Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 97 Kombucha Tea




My Kombucha brewing

Start the new year by sharing health with others. 

My girlfriend introduced me to this alien looking  Kombucha  pancake thing proclaiming  that when you use it  on top of tea you give birth to a drink with  all kinds of health benefits. I am not one of those alternative medicine type people.  I usually do not try  the newest  health kick, and I  take few vitamins  but I love tea and this thing intrigued me. The best part is that the thing  grows “a baby thing” so you’re always sharing the process with another person by giving the baby away. Starting the new year off on a healthy note, and by sharing, even if it’s only  a baby Kombucha, seems like an altruistic thing to do . This would be in line with my blog inspirations which are Maslow’s theory of Self Actualization or being the best you can be, and my girlfriend's books. By the way, the her new one is  about love-"Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned from a Little Golden Book.” So I am off to love and nurture  my  Kombucha and share the love with others. 



Reflection                                                                                                                           
My girlfriend came back from where else, California ,and handed me this plastic bag with what resembled a placenta in it, (sorry but the health professional in me gave rise to that description). Don’t worry it is actually some kind natural yeast culture.  It’s supposed to have an antibiotic effect, contain pro-biotics (what doesn’t these days), vitamins B1, B2 ,B3, B6, B12, and  an antibacterial effect.  You will have to “Google it” to see all the good stuff it has or might have. I will say that I have been drinking it for about 3 weeks and have dogged  the cold and flu even though it has been all around me.  

There is a Kombuch process of using, the right water (distilled ), the right tea, (black or green), the right pot (stainless steel) , the right bowl (glass not metal) and the right time to grow (7 to 10 days). It’s an adventure and appeals to me because it's like a fun  science experiment. You only drink a little, 4ounces, and it tastes tangy, and slightly vinegary. Then it grows a mushroom pancake thing below (the baby)  and you separate it and give it to someone one else to brew their own tea and then you start over. (If you don't want the adventure of brewing the Kombucha  at home (directions), you can buy the health tea at Whole Foods.)
 My friend's Kombucha tea brewing

Maybe my friend thought that I needed something else besides my air plant (Day 6) to nurture in the absence of my son who is at college.  So I am continuing to brew it and share the love, health, or craziness with others. It’s a new birth with every batch of tea!Who wants my next baby?

Spiritual Refection
So Naaman went down to the Jordan River and dipped himself seven times, as the man of God had instructed him. And his flesh became as healthy as a young child's and he was healed! (2 Kings 5:14)

Other sources
How To Make Kombucha Tea http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-173858
9780553508758