Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 6, Growing an Air Plant

(Please see  Day 1 -"Why This Blog" if  this is your first time visit)
Day 6, Tropical Air Plant
This summer, the weather  around here (in Pittsburgh )  has been  like the tropics: torrential rain for two( 2) minutes  then beach like sun and/or sun with rainbow inducing mist. So why not try to grow a tropical air plant or a Tillanssia. Now this is something really new to me because I never saw or heard of a plant not needing dirt.  The testimonial of the nice lady at the fair  was  that they grow anywhere and that they are easy to grow.  I thought what can I lose for $3.00,  since I have killed many ,or should I say most, plants brought in to my humble abode. Maybe an air plant is the answer!
So in the challenge today  I am going to take The Little Golden Book advice  to “stop and smell the strawberries” by looking at nature and by  trying  something really new and not keeping  on the same path, which is the behavior Maslow says leads to  Self- Actualization.
Reflection
The  little green thing below is my new air plant

Could an air plant need me as much as child-of course not? Could it look at me with cute little animal eyes- of course not?  For some reason, and don’t ask me why, I am excited about nurturing this little plant.  Maybe it’s just the plants  daily need for my spray bottle-you have to  spray them every day.   
This made me think about the pet rock that I had in the 70's/80's. Can you believe that we bought rocks!  My son looked at me as if I was an alien when I told him about my rock pet.  I guess it’s just a matter of perspective and we all need something to nurture. So little air plant you are going to be my little project  for the summer.
If this is a good thing or bad thing for my survival tool box only time will tell. If it blooms like the nice festival lady says that it would, then bingo! If it dies, I am not taking the blame like instructed in the attached disclaimer .
Spiritual Reflection
Think of ways to encourage one another to outburst of love and good deeds. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage …(Hebrews 10:24-25).
You must crave pure spiritual milk so that you can grow into the fullness of your salvation. Cry out for this nourishment as a baby cries for milk now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness (1 Peter 2:2-3).
These  passages  direct a nurturing attitude toward one another. We are called to interact and serve  in a kind and  loving way, similar to how a mother cares for her child . By doing this,  we can help to cultivate  spiritual maturity in others and in ourselves. 
Other Source:
 Buy at Essencepottery.com


Simple Psychology Maslow Hierarchy of Needs  at  http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html