Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 8, Take a new kind of ride-The Van Ride


 Don’t be afraid to be out in public when you’re  not looking “your best” -it’s a sign that you are strengthening  your  self -confidence.

(Please see Day 1 -Why This Blog if this is your first time visit)
Day 8, Challenge The Van Ride

When Little Golden Books suggested that you take a “joy ride” I don’t think the author  meant in a jalopy like my cousin’s 35 year old van with shaggy fake fur inside. This was  my first ride in a  vehicle  that looked like it belonged in a 60’s sit com or was owned by Cheech and Chong( I assure you no smoke  was coming out the doors). 
Reflection
This day’s challenge assisted in strengthening  my self- confidence. I say that it assisted because I opted -out of picking up something at work that I really needed in fear that a co-worker would  spot me riding in this banged up, two toned, rusted, fur lined van.  Maslow would be proud that I was working on mastering  self-esteem which is the fourth level in his hierarchy of basic needs. According to Maslow, prestige or what others think of you should be less important than what you think of your- self (Simple Psychology). 

It  was kind of fun driving around in a “Scooby Doo want- a- be” van.  I would do this again  because it makes you laugh at yourself. Also, if the Beverly Hillbillies could ride in a jalopy car  than so could I-by the way I think that all of the characters on that show  reached self- actualization. (They were happy with who they were and did not care what others thought about them.)


Spiritual Reflection
The Lord despises pride; be assured that the proud will be punished. Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall. (Proverbs  16: 5 and 18). True humility and fear of the Lord leads to riches, honor and long life (Proverbs 18:4)
God knows all hearts and he see you. ..(Proverbs 24:12)
Sometimes our Pride can be our downfall and no matter what our outward appearance, God knows what is in our heart.  
Other Sources
Simple Psychology Maslow Hierarchy of Needs at http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

The Beverly Hillbillies at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beverly_Hillbillies and Song at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18&noredirect=1