Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 2, Taking a Joy Ride


Day 2, July 3, 2014
Doing the victory dance becasue I  figured out how to find my blog and post again!!!
Day  2 Challenge: Drive a car with a manual transmission/drive a stick shift   
The little Golden book guide above reminds us to " take a joy ride." That is kind of what I did today when my friend was gracious to give me a refresher course on driving a standard car and even smiled when I grinded her car gears.  (I only did that once on a hill. ) I have not driven a stick shift since I was 16 and recall that my father had  white knuckes during our cowboy pony, jerking, and stalling, car ride experience. At 16, I swore never again to drive  our orange  VW  Beetle or any other car with three pedals and a stick.   

Reflection
I must say that I did very well today and I think it was fun to feel like a race car driver in the parking lot. I also gave my  left thigh muscle quite a good workout  and wonder if this task would be good for leg toning. I wonder if the right thigh would get bigger than the left. Does anyone know the answer? I also read that you also burn up more calories using a manual car, which is definitely a plus.
Living in an area with a lot of hills, a manual drive is a real accomplishment. I started to almost panic when I stopped on a hill  but my friend calmly told me what to do. It's also good to know that the old brain remembers stuff because it was a smooth drive for the most part. I also like the economic advantage of paying less for a this kind of car since I am both the breadwinner and breadmaker combined.
 Overall, I would  recommended  doing this challenge, so  that you are ready for anything that awaits you and you will not be in a pickle if the only car available is a stick shift. Especially emptynester if you are going it solo. Finally, I am not sure that when Maslow wrote his theory of self actualization in 1943, that  they even had many automatic cars.  

Spiritual reflection
You know how badly we had been treated at Phillippi just before we came to you and how much we suffered there. Yet our God gave us the courage to declare his Good News to you boldly, even though we were surrounded by many who opposed us. 1 Thessalonians 2:2
God will give you the strength and courage to overcome any obstacles especially if you are in his will. In my opinion maslow’s theory, reaching  true potential, is the same as reaching or striving for spiritual maturity which can be gained from reading the good bookJ

Other Sources

Driving a stick shift? Pros and Cons of cars with Manual transmissions at http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/driving-stick-pros-cons-manual-transmissions-article-1.1247896

Self  Actualization the Most Inspiring self- help Concept of all Time at http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=maslow+self+actualization&v=8kV8YO4YC6w&qsrc=472