Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day 87 Enjoy the Season like a Child/Chicago




New Book, Love it!

Christmas starts earlier every year but I don’t mind  because I love it all: lights, decorations, winter, snow, family, food, and the celebration of our Lord.  So while in Chicago, I was excited to “celebrate the season” as reminded by my friend Diane in her new book, Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned from a Little Golden Book

The holiday windows  were one of my favorite yearly family traditionin Pittsburgh and I went every year with my son. This  emptynester  enjoyed them  at  Macy's in Chicago. I also hit the grand opening day of Dylans Candy Bar,  and bought the candy from my childhood, “Flying Saucers and Zots,” found in the "vintage/nostalgic candy section."  As I visited each  window and ate candy-I was a kid  again!

Macy's Windows Chicago
I love love love  parades! Have always loved them since I was child.  My bucket list has “go  to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in  NYC” written on it  but while in Chicago, I saw the next best thing, the  Magnificent Mile of Lights Festival, where  the trees on Michigan Ave light up as the parade passes. It’s spectacular and  I excitedly waved back at the people on the floats along with the other  kids especially when Dee Snider from Twisted Sister waved at me!

Magnificent Mile of Lights, Chicago
 I love to ice skate and I took my son all the time therefore, to skate  in  Chicago with the city in the background was like living in a Currier and  Ives picture.  Even though  I am no  Dorothy Hamill or Kristy Yamaguchi I skated  fairly well until coming off the ice. Then in a flash,  down  I went, falling backward,  jamming my left rib into the fold of the gate, knocking the breath out of me, cracking my rib, tarnishing my image and ending my  smile.  Oh well, kids fall a lot don’t they? 


So find a Christmas parade, check out some Christmas  windows,  and ice skate carefully(so you don’t crack a rib). Celebrate the season like a child!
Skating before I fell

Spiritual Reflection
O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood,
and I have constantly told others about the wonderful things you do (Psalm 71:17)

Other sources
Chicago Festival of lights http://www.themagnificentmile.com/events/lights-festival/
Everything I need to know about Christmas http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Christmas-Learned-Little-Golden/dp/0553497359