Saturday, November 29, 2014

Day 86 Treasures/Art Institute of Chicago




The Art Institute of Chicago(AIC)  was art heaven to me! We  did not go until the second day of the trip and I have to admit that I was thinking about  going  the entire first day. I have been to the Metropolitan in New York but the AIC is the  second largest art museum in the U.S , known for  its impressionist, and post-impressionist art, with a collection second only to the Louve in Paris!  I could not wait to see my favorite artist’s works up close  but as Little Golden Books recommends I had to “be discriminating” so I could see the most  art in the time that I had. That morning I  went on line and had a plan of attack! 



A Sunday on LaGrande Jatte by Seurat. Took over 2 years to finish. (1884)

 Reflection
My head swiveling like a bobble head doll as I walked to the back of the first room trying to catch up to a tour. I wanted to stop to explore  everything. Four (4) hours later I still had more to see but my back, my cracked left rib (a result of a fall when ice skating which is embellished in the next blog) and my friend, had had enough.  I got to see my favorite  artist, Matisse and my friend learned that he liked Camille Pissarro whose work appeals more to me than Monet. 
Woman Before a Fish Bowel- Matisse(1922)
Became one with art- making  fish face :)



 In Day 14, I went to the Frick Museum of Art in Pittsburgh to see  the Degas  exhibit  but today  I saw several of his  famous ballerina paintings. I learned that a major expansion of the art was done by a James N. Wood who created  exhibitions of works by Paul Gauguin, Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh . There was just so much to see!

I say go to an art museum . Find one in your city (art museums ranked ) because you just might be surprised to find   treasures that appeal to you. 

Spiritual  Reflection
Intelligent people are always open to new ideas. In fact they look for them (Proverbs 18:15)

Bedroom in Arles VanGough (1888)
Other Sources