Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 44, 45 Past Friendships/Columbus Ohio





Better to have a few close friends than a sea of others.

In Maslow's theory, establishing  deep satisfying interpersonal relationships with a few people is a trait of a self- actualized person.   There is something special when you have a  friend   from the past , who can fit right back into the present and continue into the future. I have that  in my friend Kellie from Columbus, Ohio.

On Day 42-43 at Purdue  when my son indicated that he wanted to end our day on Saturday to make friends, I decided to head back to Pittsburgh. Half way to Pittsburgh, (3.5 hours from Purdue)  is Columbus Ohio. I lived there in the 90’s for 3 years. This was an unexpected change of plans and I had connected with my friend Kellie to visit on Sunday. When I called her about a change she text-ed, “you can come Saturday night, Sunday, next week, Halloween…Presidents’ day…Whenever! You are always welcome!  Can’t wait to see you! ”
  
Reflection   
1999 Retro
                                                                                      
2014 -Notice the set up with ice!
   
My friend was so welcoming and such a ball of energy. We just picked up where we left off 16 years ago even though we had not seen each other in 10 years. She and her husband were having  a  party. When I arrived she ran across  the room and  their friends each came up to me to introduce themselves.  She had a room ready, a glass of ice and water stocked in the bathroom, a white fluffy robe on the bed, and all the toiletries that I needed. It was better than a 5 star hotel!



The positive energy was very high but that is how it is with Kellie and when we are together the energy is explosive.  We  even fished (see Day 46). 

So seeking out a friends from the past will stay in the survival tool box. 

Spiritual Reflection
And since I, the Lord and Teacher have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. (John 13:13,14)

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in times of need (Proverbs 17:17)