Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Day 403- Body Glove Inflatable Paddle Board - Ocean Adventure

 


About 18 years ago I tried a stand-up paddle board (SUP) at Lake Placid. My friend, whose middle name should be Mr. Outdoors had one before they were a thing.  I guess all those dance classes paid off because I stood right up on the board. I was hooked and took off exploring the lake.




 I could not lift the original SUP wooden boards but over the years they morphed into inflatable options.  I have a lime fluorescent green Body Glove Raptor (don’t you love that name.)  My Raptor has seen many lakes but this year a friend offered to drive it from Pittsburgh to Florida. I of course flew, and we met up for a paddle board ocean adventure.


Reflection

 It is a struggle to drag myself out of bed before 6:30am to watch the sunrise over the ocean. The horizon hues of yellow and orange before the sun pops over the water is worth the effort every time.  The morning water can be as smooth as glass which is more inviting when your SUP is ready to go in your hotel room.

During my recent visit to Lauderdale By the Sea (see Day 400) Raptor was my am companion. We traversed the cost, finding a rhythm.  The ocean waves challenge your balance but the symmetrical ripples of the waves had a hypnotic calming effect.

LBTS has coral reefs 100 yards from the shoreline but I am not a confident swimmer. I could venture past the buoys to the  reef with my Raptor.  With the snorkel fixed to the board, I hopped on and off the board to view the world below.  I saw a spotted eagle ray, colorful angel fish, several schools of fish and even a nurse shark on the ocean floor. Yes a shark, but it had no interest in me.  

The inflatable stand up board is a great way to explore the ocean, relax and exercise, multiplying the fun factor at the beach. Raptor is home and rolled up ready for the next adventure.

Other Sources 

https://www.bodyglove.com/collections/isup-boards

https://www.supworldmag.com/the-history-of-stand-up-paddling/