Saturday, November 21, 2020

Day 376 - No Stress Thanksgiving-From Freezer to Oven Turkey or Turkey Breast in a Bag-Archer Farms

 



I stress about making Thanksgiving dinner every year because I am not that good of  a cook (see Day 243).   Thanksgiving is one of my least favorite holidays because cooking the dinner is not a “ labor of love” for this girl but a stress bomb. I also think it’s highly unfair that during this holiday women slave all day cooking (I know that some men carve or help by deep frying the turkey) but mostly men get to relax, eat dinner, and watch football. 

This year during the pandemic,  I am trying to eliminate as much stress as possible and for me that is  that  is cooking!  Instead of making  numerous calls to my girlfriend, who takes on the role as my “turkey line,” I decided to make it stress free by again trying a freezer to oven turkey in a bag (Archer Farms at Target). Since we are keeping it small, I am opting for the turkey breast option this year. The tale that follows is of my experience with the full bird option two years ago. 




Reflection
Two years ago, my son came home from California and this option increased my precious  limited time with him and with my aging parents by slashing my hours in the kitchen.  Our family is not one to go out for dinner (which in the middle of a pandemic is not recommended anyway.) We love to chill at home and love those left overs. Remember I don’t cook so left overs are this girl's best friend.  

  I must also admit that I have a smidgen of that “I can do it all” prideful attitude about the holidays. Even though last year I broke down and ordered  my dinner to go (see Day 353). This home cooking easy with turkey in a bag has the advantage of filling your home with the  acromia of Thanksgiving.


A friend who knows my yearly dilemma told me that TARGET 's Archer Farms turkey goes fully seasoned and from the freezer to the oven.  I think I heard angels singing when she told me that.  Yes no thawing, no cleaning, no figuring out what seasoning to use,  no worrying about it being dry because it’s in a bag, and no basting-stress free!

This was the best move that  I ever made. Two years ago, I was able to go away the weekend before Thanksgiving, come home and take my mom to a show and even spend time with my son at a hockey game the night before Thanksgiving and I still pulled it off. This year it an option for a smaller Thanksgiving and promote my relaxation. 

 It was so easy. In four and a half hours I had a brown, moist  and tasty turkey (moister  than my prior years).  In fact, if you did not know my secret you would have thought that  I was Martha Stewart  herself.  This is the best trick in the book. My house smelled good, we relaxed around the table, I managed to get  all the food out at the same time (another thing that I stress about) but most importantly, I had more time with my family.



Thank you Thank you Archer Farms for my first  and for many more to follow stress free Thanksgivings. This year everyone complements will not be just because of  my efforts but because of  the taste and the time spent relaxing together. 

Spiritual Source
Enter His gates with thanksgiving, And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him: bless his name.  (Psalm 100:4)