Saturday, January 12, 2019

Day 317-Heinz History Center Lecture-" Hamilton-Remix:History Meets Show Biz"- What's the Buzz


Pittsburgh is going Hamilton crazy with the Broadway musical playing for almost the entire month of  January at the Benedum Center. I don’t have a golden ticket to Hamilton and frankly the mania surrounding it  has peaked my curiosity about this hip-hop musical. My hope was that the Heinz History Center lecture, by historian Dr. Richard Bell,  Hamilton-Remix:History Meets Show Biz,  might not only refresh my knowledge of  American history  but  also explain the buzz about this show.  


Reflection
I was curious to understand what draws the masses to a show with dancing and singing American Founding Fathers.  Pittsburgh definitely has the fever with an awe striking sold out crowd of 500 eager participants. I felt the excitement in the room. There was a buzz that many had seen the musical multiple times. As I looked around at the audience, I wondered, “Am I the only one that does not have a ticket to the show or that had not seen it?”

 Even being a fan of history and the theater, I was a bit pensive about my first history lecture being 90 minutes long.  Dr. Richard Bell, in his ironically British accent, gave his thoughts on the many clever details in the show, historical significance of the show, and where Broadway hit the historical target and where it fell short. His extensive knowledge mirrored his quick wit as he entertained using back up visuals and clips. We all enjoyed the adorable video of his 4 year old daughter rapping to one of her favorite Hamilton songs. When I looked down at my watch, I could not believe that 60 minutes had passed.

It matters if this show is good history  because  it is seen by 7000 viewers a night or  2.5 million in a year. As Bell put it, this gives this  musical a much “greater penetration than any history book.”  It would be a shame if that many people were getting “fake history.”  I was relieved to hear that, for the most part, the creator, Lin-Manuel Miranda “got a lot right”.

Bell provided some plot point problems in a handout. He focused on 4 historical inaccuracies: 1) the portrayal that in 1776  everyone was in favor of a revolution,  2) the  lack of woman  participation in the cause, 3) the painting of  upward mobility of immigrants and 4) the scrubbing of Alexander Hamilton’s life of any involvement in  slavery.

What I found most intriguing was the cleverness (and many would say genius) of the show illustrated in Bell’s presentation.  The casting of the main characters was done with hip hop artists in mind. Many characters replace dialogue with  energetic rhythmic rap and hip-hop that “snaps you to attention”. In a play about a revolution it is a fitting use of  this genre of music which is associated with struggle and strength.  

I was amazed how many riffs and references  to other Broadway shows (Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, Rent and more) are intermingled in this show.  The creator paid a lot of attention to details. The chorus costumes are period above the waist and modern below.  Alexander Hamilton moves the way the character thinks. Angelica Schuyer (sister-in-law of Hamilton) is played as a strong feminist whose rapping speed mirrors her speed of thinking (listen to"Satisfied").

Hamilton's Thomas Jefferson quotes a familiar phrase by rapper Biggie Smalls, “And if ya don’t know...now ya know”.  Thanks to Dr. Bell, I now know a little bit more about why there is so much mania surrounding this show. Now I am ready for the sound track just in case I land a ticket
(listen here).   

(For more Heinz History Center Events  or to tour the center go to heinzehistorycenter.org )

Spiritual Reflection
Proclaim this among the nations;Prepare for war! Rouse the warriors! Let all the fighting men draw near and attack (Joel 3:9)

Other Sources
https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/events