Thursday, June 21, 2018

Day 288 Immersive Encounter-The Clearing-Stay Curious-Bricolage Theater




In this quest for new things I came across Bricolage Theater which is synonymous with adventures theater (see Days 256- Midnight Radio and 279- WordPlay). The Clearing is a personal immersive theater experience where you are part of the story. My Blog inspiration book, Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book" recommends that we “Stay Curious” so I was ready to explore my first  immersive encounter (IE)  and venture into The Clearing!


Golden Book, Baby Listens (1960)


Refection
I had no idea what an IE actually  was and after going, I am still not sure. One thing about being part of the story is that it forces you to revisit your “child- like place”. A place where everything new is fun, where you explore, stay curious, and play.  

As you enter, the only instruction was, “The only wrong way to do this is to not do this”. Basically, you have to play along, follow the actors leads and engage sometimes without a serious or practical purpose. You are part of this story but it is really your own story. 

The Clearing is a place, a forest, a sound, a memory and a thought evoked by the set, actors, and your senses. The actors guide you but it’s up to you to permit yourself to relax, have fun or be “tickled” by the encounter. 

 IE is based on some broad theme or concept. Managing Director, Jackie Baker explained,“The experience is tested over and over before it opens to the public to see how people will react. It is constantly tweaked to evoke participation during the experience".

This IE seemed to focus on the  clearing of  your mind (at least to me because it might seem different to you). It was designed to  provoke impactful life memories and encourage letting go of the harmful ones.

I know that it all sounds a bit "zen like" but I enjoyed it after I  overcame the thoughts: “Am I doing this right? What comes next? Do I look silly?”  I assume kids would have less hesitation with an IE because they are more prone to imagine, pretend and play. As an  adult we have to release some control and allow ourself to enter The Clearing  and enjoy it.  

I would definitely try another immersive experience again. It brought out that child- like curious thread that makes life such an adventure! 

(The Clearing runs  until July 15, 20018 at Bricolage Theater. For tickets  go to  bricolagepgh.org.)

Spiritual Reflection
It is God's privilege to conceal things and the king's privilege to discover them. (Proverbs 25:2)

Other Sources