Friday, September 22, 2017

Day 236- Sylvan Esso with Helado Negro- Enigmatic Musical Performances at Stage AE


My blog inspiration book, “Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book”, reminds us to “be unique” and  to “make music a part of your life.”   In my quest to experience varied  musical genres (see Days 15,  113, 140, and 122 ),  I was excited  when  Stage AE brought the new music of  Sylvan Esso, a duo of Nick Sanborn’s electronics and Amelia Meath’s  unique voice, to Pittsburgh.   Heladro Negro, a Latin singer  from Ecuador who uses “performance art” opened the show.  The mysterious sounds and performances of both of these artists  made this  enigmatic  show  such an enjoyable new experience!   



Sold out crowd at Stage AE

Reflection
I first saw Sylvan Esso perform their  single, “Radio”, on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
 I loved the way Meath’s  voice paired  so well with  Sanborn’s electronic  rhythms.   I do not know  why I enjoyed their sound so  much or what to even call it, but just like wine; if you like it, it’s all good! 
Sylvan Esso 

Esso Sylvan was formed in 2013. Their  music for a “seasoned girl”  like me was a bit of an enigma. In fact, my friend and I after the show vigorously debated how to describe them.   I insisted that they were  “indie” and he stressed that they were “techno pop” . Whatever they are, their sound sold out Stage AE and we both swayed, jumped and felt the rhythm with 2,700 others that night!


We swayed, jumped and felt the rhythm with 2,700 others that night!
 Meath has a sweetness to her voice  which is especially  evident in their  debut single, “Hey Mami”.   Sylvan Esso  uses the catchy repeated  phrases in their music which is characteristic of pop (listen to “Rewind”).

I wondered  if  2 people would seem lost on a stage. They used the lighting well to enhance the mystery of the music  and they kept up the energy especially with  “Die Young”,"Kick Jump and Twist" and their  encore, "Radio".  However you  describe them, it was a great show!


Helado Nego with Tinsel Mammals  

Helado Nego was so different  that  I think he is  in a class that is all his own.  Often  singing in  Spanish, his sound  was soft and whispery.   He  told me that he used, “tinsel Mammals” in the show-why, I don’t know, but  coupled with his voice, it was hypnotic. (listen here).

Helado Negro 

I have said this before but, Stage AE brings some  interesting and talented performers to our city  for a price that does not break your piggy bank. Although the show was sold out there was plenty of room and you could get as  up close and personal with the music as you liked.

 I say check out the schedule  and take a chance on the show. This one was an enjoyable enigmatic experience of music!

( I can't wait for  my next visit to  Stage AE to see the Pixies on October 4th )




Spiritual Source
We are all unique.
Yet you, LORD, our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.
(Isaiah 64:8)     

Other Sources 
Stage AE upcoming events http://promowestlive.com/search?venue=2