Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Day 235- Experience Art exhibits at August Wilson Center-"Funky Turns 40: Black Character Revolution"




The August Wilson Center, Pittsburgh’s African American Cultural Center, offers interesting shows and exhibits.  I recently experienced Kaki King, a unique visual guitar experience in it’s 472-seat theater (see Day 234). The center also has multiple exhibition galleries(see schedule). Recently, by chance, I visited, “Funky Turns 40: Black Character Revolution”, a show  that focused on the significance of  the positive change in Saturday morning black cartoon  characters in the 1970's-80’s.


This looks like the TV we had when I was a kid

Reflection
I as a kid in the late 70’s, I remember enjoying "Fat Albert and the Crosby Kids". I  religiously watched the cartoon repeating the jolly iconic “Hey Hey Hey” that was always a part of Fat Albert’s dialogue. My friends and I loved the gang and laughed along with them each Saturday morning. I did not realize that they were shaping positive images in my young mind. Apparently in the 1960's, the Black images were ugly stereotypes. Fat Albert and other shows were  a “revolution” of positive Black characters in animation history.


Harlem Globtrotters
There was a section dedicated to the Harlem Globetrotters and I also remembered that cartoon.  I think I was more excited than my young son to see the Globetrotters when I took him to a show in Pittsburgh when he was 8 years old!

Star-Trek -Lt. Uhura
I had forgotten  about Star-Trek Lt. Uhura who was one of the first black TV beauties and of course the Jackson 5 had us all singing and dancing on Saturday morning.  

The change in the media reflected the changes in the civil rights advances during this time in history.  For me this exhibition  brought back positive happy childhood memories and maybe that is what we all need -more positive dialogue about any race.  I guess when you think about it there was a bit of a paradigm shift  on Saturday morning and that is something that should be celebrated!  
Jackson Five, "ABC is easy as 123"

I will continue keep the August Wilson Center and its exhibition galleries and shows in my toolbox of new experiences. The next  exhibition,  “Went Looking for Beauty:Rehashing Self",  a photography exhibit by Deborah Willis, PH.D, opens on September 22, 2017.

Other Sources
https://culturaldistrict.org/pages/awc/