Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 125 South Carolina, Ocean fishing




I have had very little fishing experience. The  few times that I went my son was very little and I only went  if I had someone to put the worm on the hook.  Last year,  I fished  in a  man- made lake behind my girlfriend’s house (see day 46-Fishing ) and she put the worm on the hook.  Looking for a new mother/son experience,   I  was willing to try deep sea fishing though I am plagued with motion sickness.  So I took my motion sickness pill and we chartered a boat in South Carolina,  for a “big fish adventure."


Reflection
I envisioned  hooking  one of those  big fish with a very long nose.  Unfortunately,  it was too windy to get into the ocean so we only made it 3 miles off the coast to the inlet. Thus,  we were  in search of  flounder  instead.



 It still was exciting when my rod bent and I thought I had something. Most times it was hooked on the bottom or on seaweed but on one occasion my rod bent like a candy cane and I got a sting ray! It was exciting to get a real ocean animal but I felt bad looking at its little face. As he threw it back, the captain assured me that the stingray  would be fine.

Flounder, yummy
 My son was much better and caught three( 3) flounder .We could only keep one and actually ate it for lunch the next day. Boy was it good! I guess there is nothing like eating fresh sea food off the boat (another new experience). I am now a fan of fishing for fish that you can eat!

My toad fish
 I only caught  a little ugly toad fish but I had fun trying. Maybe next time I will have a “ big fish” story to tell.

Spiritual Reflection
One day as Jesus was walking along the shore beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers-Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew- fishing with a net, for they were commercial fishermen. Jesus called out to them, "Come be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!" and they left their nets at once and went with him. (Mat 4:18-20)Add caption

Other sources
Fly Girl Charter  http://www.flygirlfishingcharters.com/