Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day 108 St. Anthony's Chapel- Stations of the Cross



life sized Station of the Cross




During  this  Easter season, I thought that I would venture to the little chapel in Troy Hill that I discovered last summer in blog Day 35   to experience the Stations of the Cross. I have been to the stations of the cross, (the telling of the story to Calvary),  but it was a new experience at St. Anthony's Chapel  with life sized sculptures.


Front of chapel with relics
Reflection
St. Anthony’s Chapel is famous for having  over 5000 religious relics or remains contained in ornate cases. This is  the largest collection of religious remains in the world second only to those found at the  Vatican. In addition, there have been reports of many healings in this little chapel. 


The stations of the cross, which are a reflection on  Jesus' walk  to the  crucifixion was very moving  in this chapel.  The life sized hand carved statutes are surrounded by  beautifully stained glass  windows in a European  style  chapel.  It might have been because the scenes were so large  that I felt like I was present during the walk to Calvary.

Interestingly these Pittsburgh carvings were  imported from Munich Germany. The only  other set is located in Germany.

I recommend trying this reflective experience by going to a stations of the cross reading.  If you can, go to St. Anthony's Chapel in Troy Hill   where the stations of the cross  are held Fridays at 7pm and Saturdays at 3pm during lent.  

 
Spiritual Reflection
He..knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine” (Luke 22:42)

Other Sources