Monday, November 17, 2014

Day 82 Visit a Memoral 2 (West Park)



USS Mane-Spanish American War Memorial


A few days before Labor Day I enjoyed what may have been the last of the warm Pittsburgh  weather  and found myself in West Park, the park on the North side of Pittsburgh near the Aviary. I discovered that there were quite a few monuments  in this park.  In this new journey, I vowed  that I would no longer just walk past them ( Day 5) .  I found an interesting looking cannon which  was a tribute to the lives lost during the Spanish American War  and  a Civil War Monument in the distance.   I decided to “be patriotic” as  Little Golden Books suggested and explored these monuments, learning about the USS Maine.
Civil War Monument  - West Park



Reflection
The Spanish American War Monument is located outside  the wall of the National Aviary  and is  dedicated to the solders who lost their lives on the USS Main.  I knew  virtually nothing about this war or ship since I am presently  decades removed from my high school history class days. Thus, I decided to  do what everyone does in this century- I “Googled it.” 

The battle ship USS Mainee was in Havana Harbor, Cuba  when it mysteriously exploded and  sunk on Feb 15, 1898 killing nearly three-quarters of the crew over 240 men. It was sent  to protect the U.S.  citizens in Cuba during a time when the Cuban revolutionaries were revolting against Spain. The exact cause of the explosion was unknown but many Americans blamed Spain and  the war with Spain followed  a few months later (USS Main).
USS Maine Torpedo Tube 

This interesting  looking cannon which I found out latter was a torpedo tube, fueled my interest in this slice of American History.  I recommend visiting a memorial (memorial list )  and then trying to  “Google it”.  The new war movie Fury,  (WWW II  movie with Brad Pit in a tank), is great and thus if you go see that move, follow it up with a visit to the WWW II Memorial  on the North Shore as in Day 5.  Wars absorb many lives, ending some in a flash.  At least I can honor those who died by not just walking past  the statute and by taking some time to remember.



Spiritual Reflection
The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
For he understands how weak we are; he know we are only dust.
Our days on earth are like grass; Like wild flowers, we bloom and die.
The wind blows, and we are gone-as though we had very been here.
But the love of the Lord remains forever with those who fear him.
His salvation extends to the children’s children of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments! (Psalm 103:13-18)
West Park, beautiful sunny day



Other Sources
Spanish American War Memorial http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_%28ACR-1%29