Friday, October 17, 2014

Ducky Tour (Day 62-77)




During my writing hiatus (Day 62-77), I took a Ducky Tour, a land / amphibious tour of Pittsburgh. In the past, I thought that these tours just were too “cheesy” (another Pittsburgh original description), for a native Pittsburgher  like me to try.  I never thought that I would be one of those persons sitting on an obnoxiously  bright “bus/ boat like thing,”  chiming in with the others, and yelling  “quack, quack, quack” at city walkers on their  cell phone. My excuse for the tour was that I had to try to find a light non- threatening environment in which to introduce my mother to my friend but down deep, the big kid in me really just wanted to go! I also think  I fulfilled Little Golden Book’s advice to “frolic”  and Maslow’s child  like self –actualization characteristic with this challenge.
In the water on a beautiful day
Reflection
The tour sure was a frolic through Pittsburgh with some interesting history and with a lot of laughs. I really enjoyed learning that the World War II six wheeled vehicle that changed from a truck to a boat (DUKW) was only expected to last a week.  This DUKW history elicited a flashed back to Day 5 when I visited the World War II memorial on the North Shore.  
 
Changing back from boat to truck
I was riding the red one which is "Dottie, the little diva duckling that loves Pittsburgh's theater and music scene." How appropriate for me since I love theater! I enjoyed  learning more about my beloved city  during another  picture perfect fall day and for an hour, I loved just acting silly. It's cheesy but good cheese and I would definitely  go again and quack. 

Spiritual Reflection

Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, they will live no more than 120 years" (Gen 6:3)

 As the DUKW changes form, God patiently allowed time  for the people in Noah's day  to change and he patiently waits for us.

Other Sources 
Ducky Tours https://www.justduckytours.com/
DUKW boat http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW