Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 4, Bicycle Heaven

 


(see Day 1 for complete overview of- Why This Blog if this is your first visit)
Today when I road  my ride bike I was  constantly changing gears, especially when navigating  the hills and valleys of Pennsylvania. Life forces us to  keep switching  our gears to get up our hill(s) . 
Day challenge-Bike ride to Bicycle Heaven
Maslow and the Little Golden Books recommend that “we learn something new.” What a better place to do that than in a museum.  I am a museum buff and I have often frequented art and science museums but I have never heard of a bike museum and I did not know there was one in my hometown backyard!  A friend stepped up to the plate to assist in my daily new challenge quest to take me here.
Reflection
This was not  “Rock in Roll Heaven” but a real Bicycle Heaven!  When I walked in my eyes bulged out like a Looney Tune Cartoon! Everywhere, there were so many bikes with histories, themes, crazy values, and  just plain  really cool stuff on them. I know very little about bikes so to me it is just cool stuff . What  I do know about bikes, I learned from Mike and Frankie’s adventures on the TV show “American Pickers.” 

There is something so nostalgic about bikes especially when we  see a bike like the first one we had. I had the cool purple one with the white shinny banana seat and basket. This museum had plenty of bikes with banana seats.  I can remember when I first learned how to ride and there is something about the bonding experience if you learned with a parent. Likewise, I remember how excited I was when my son after careening back in forth finally, took off all on his own.  Maybe that is why this museum brought  a smile to my face.
 I think the best thing about this museum is taking others to the experience and seeing their surprise and their joy. (A line from one of my Cyrano De Bergerac(s) friends )
 
Spiritual Reflection  
As apostles of Christ we certainly had a right to make some demands of you. But we were as gentle among you as a mother feeding and caring for her own children.  1 Thessalonians 2:7
Even though we might want to correct or make demands  of others we are often called to act with  gentleness and kindness. Just a thought as I  go forward in teaching my child  new things on his life journey and in my interactions with  others. 
Other Sources:
Bicycle Museum of America at  http://www.bicyclemuseum.com/