Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 121 Washington DC




Vote for me?
I had a blog hiatus because I was  walking (and I mean 25,000 steps of walking confirmed by my friends'  techie watches), though Washington DC over the 4th of July  weekend. I can’t think of a better way  to “be patriotic,” as my blog inspiration, Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book, suggests, than to visit DC.  I have not been to DC in over twenty five (25) years so seeing many of the monuments were new experiences  and this  time I went with new friends, thus  experiencing a  British perspective on the federal district.   


twin shoes on loan :)




Oh, I almost forgot to mention another first, THE AIRLINE LOST MY LUGGAGE-thank goodness for same size friends. 

Washington Monument


Reflection
There is something so special about visiting the capital,  the White House, and the  presidential monuments of  Lincoln  and Washington. The  grand steps lead up to  Lincoln sitting on a throne  towering over  DC.  As I experienced the view looking down over the reflection pool  to the Washington Monument, I thought about all the change that has occurred in our country. This year was a year to remember because  of the Supreme Court ruling on same sex marriages and  I thought about the many other changes that have occurred prior.  As in blog Day 120 Classic Movies, I reflected again on how life and attitudes have  evolved. Looking down,  I thought about how change is inevitable  and  the manner in which we accept  it leads to  either a  fulfilling or to a  frustrating life.  
White House
Finally, there is something special when you visit the White House because  it belongs to all of us. I love that there is protesting around it –it makes me feel free. I think the psychologist, Maslow would have agreed that being open to new ideas regardless of our view on them, is a good way to  reach self-actualization. 

Captain Cannabis/the next hot issue
The idea that  we can protest  makes me proud of this country even if I am not sure about some of the issues that are  being protested- I am always comforted that protesting is occurring! Happy 4th of July!

Lincoln Memorial

Spiritual reflection: 
Abraham experienced change by leaving everything that he knew on God's request.

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. (Hebrews 11:8) 

It is clear, then, that God's promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was not based on obedience to God's law, but on the new relationship with God that comes by faith (Romans 4:13)