Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Day 296 Try a Day at Kennywood Park-Rides- Memories-A “Super-cali -fragi-listic” Day



At an amusement park you hear the crackling and rumbling roar of roller coasters, piped organ music of the Merry-go- round and a prevalent  hum of screams and laughter.  One of my blog inspiration books, Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a (Disney) Little Golden Book reminds us that life can be a “super-cali-fragi-listic new day !”.  That is just what you can get at an amusement park that screams of fun or fear- depending on your age and the ride- but fear is part of the fun! Kennywood Park with 6 coasters and more, not only gives you  a riding thrill but also a nostalgic stroll as it elicits memories for many Pittsburghers from their childhood, teen years, and times with their children.


Reflection
Similar to zoo visits (Day 294 ), when our kids are grown we might forget to make a “childless”  Kennywood day.  It’s been years since I ventured to Kennywood but this time there was no one to keep entertained, no stress about winning a stuffed animal (which was always a big deal since I have no game skills) and no end of the day kid meltdown.  You can have a day where you get to be the kid and play, and where fond  memories surface at every turn.


The Racer-always fun to heckle the opposite train


The Thunderbolt- road it 4 times

I have always  been a roller coaster girl and avoid spinning attractions  since even a car ride can elicit my  motion sickness.  The park  has  three vintage (1920’s) wooden coasters, the Jackrabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt.  The Jackrabbit was the first “big” coaster that my son was tall enough to ride. Our belly butterflies  stemming from the 70 foot double dip always made us run back for more. The  Racer, the only coaster in the US  with one continuous  track,  produced heckling as my son and I rode on opposite trains and competed to  win.  I remembered riding the rebuilt Thunderbolt that was voted the number one coaster by the New York Times in the  l970’s. Back then, it seemed like the fastest thing around.

The Phantoms Revenge  produced anticipatory  fear during the slow rhythmic clicks climbing  straight up with a view of the entire park before it dropped the famous 200 plus feet. On my first ride  I shut my eyes  but on the second, my hands were up and  yes, I screamed both times.  The park has two more  coaster “thrillers”, The Exterminator, an indoor dark twister and The Ski Rocket, that takes to you from 0-50 mph in 3 seconds.



I am not sure if it was the present thrill of these coasters or my memories that fueled my youthful enthusiasm to ride.  My friend and I raced hand in hand  from coaster to coaster, riding with our hands up,  laughing and occasionally screaming.     

Kennywood has plenty of spinning rides for those vertigo lovers.  I enjoyed watching the screamers on the Aero (360 degree spinning arrow) and the Black Widow (huge round circle that  also spins 360 degrees) safely from the ground holding my ice cream.

There is always a fantastic show

The park still offers quality shows and there are  a barrage of event days still to come.  Some are just for adults like  Brew in the Park (September 22, 2018) and on Oldies Day (September 9th) 55+ get to ride for $9.99.  I remember Italian Day at the park was always a family affair where my grandma came and just held all our stuff. (see schedule here) 

As my friend and I walked through the park, we each pointed out the placement of retired rides and shared our stories. I have been told that I am a horrible driver which seems to work to my advantage on my favorite ride, the  Bumper Cars. The night ended with a ride on the  peaceful and  beautiful classic Merry-go-round as we made our way toward the park exit.


My day always seems to end with a Merry-go-round ride

The park continues to add rides and evolve with Thomas Town just opening but it also keeps its classic charm with walk through attractions like  Noah's Ark that has been around in some form since 1936.  Kennywood still thrills but more importantly, it brings us back to our past.   A day at Kennywood encourages you to play, propelling you into your own personal  “Super-cali -fragi-listic” Day!



Spiritual Reflection
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. ( Psalm 16:11)

Other Sources