Friday, May 18, 2018

Day 283 Storm Large & the Pittsburgh Symphony POPS-Love, Lust and Rock ‘n’ Roll-Wild Ride Honoring Love



The Pittsburgh Symphony POPS merges  the symphony with the diverse talents of  other artists giving us symphonic music “with a twist”.   Last weekend,  Storm Large, a 2006 finalist on the CBS show Rock Star: Supernova , brought her wild spirit to the show Love Lust and Rock n' Roll.   Her passion and sultry show was a fantastic wild ride honoring  love!




Reflection
Storm Large had an amazing vocal range. She put her rock n’ spin on the music of Cole Porter (Got You Under My Skin), Elton John (Good Bye Yellow Brick Road), Queen (Somebody to Love) and her original music.

This was not a  traditional  tribute to love. She admittedly “set the tone” of  the show  by opening it with her original song, Call Me Crazy, singing: “Call me crazy because I am. Call me psycho cause I am. I am alive. This crazy helps me to see”. She then “rocked out” a traditional Cole Porter song, Got You Under My Skin giving it a contemporary bite.



This was a colorful night as Storm’s performance was akin to a  night club/ Las Vegas act with a  punch of the accompanying  Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.  I particularly enjoyed  the orchestra in Inside Outside, a song about coming to a cross roads in one’s life. Under the direction of Michael  Krajewski,  the symphony let loose just like Storm’s vocals. 

Storm’s pre-song monologues exhibited  her  “wild child” spirit.  In the second half, she entered sipping a beer before starting a bluesy acoustic, A Woman's Heart.  She energized the stage with Boom Boom Boom a song about the passion found in new love.  Then sang about self love in Dear Ones,-  "Being afraid, falling apart, over and over again, it’s part of every beginning”.


My Mother in I rocking with Storm and PSO

I loved her heartfelt tribute to her “second mother” in the song Angels in Gas Stations.  The show had a  rock concert ending as she called for audience cell phone lights during Somebody to Love (Queen). She reminded everyone that “ human magic is love” before her beautifully sung encore, Stand Up For Me.

Although nontraditional, Storm gave a 110% during her performance.  I applaud the POPS for bringing us this show that  was a unique wild ride tribute to love.  

(Go to https://pittsburghsymphony.org/ for more upcoming shows and don't miss the next POPS-Broadway Divas on June 22, 2018. )

Other sources
Pittsburgh Symphony https://pittsburghsymphony.org/