Sunday, March 4, 2018

Day 268 Bodyguard-Pittsburgh Broadway Series-Punches With Music and Suspense


The musical, The Bodyguard, is based on the iconic 1992 movie with the same name that skyrocketed Whitney Huston's career. The movie was packed with record billboard hits: So Emotional, One Moment in Time, Saving All My love, and the song that always gives me goose bumps- I Will Always Love You.   Who can forget the romance between singing superstar, Rachel Marron (Whitney Houston) and Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner), who was the former secret service agent  hired as Marron’s bodyguard to protect her from an obsessed stalker/assassin. It was a thriller and a love story. 


The musical was packed with iconic songs and yet it captured the suspense of a thriller as a deranged fan attempted to get close to the superstar.  The play
successfully jockeyed between Marron's concerts and the creepy stalker which gave us punches of music and the feeling of apprehension and excitement of a thriller from the start to the finish (watch here).

Reflection 
The musical opened with the bang of gun shots which occurred when secret service agent, Farmer failed to  protect a congressman. Then  we were the audience at  Marron's  concert as  the stage exploded with Queen of the Night complete with buffed dancers and some pyrotechnics.  


This musical worked because of the vocal talent of   R&B/Pop recording artist, Debora Cox as Marron and Jasmin Richardson as Marron's sister. Both had powerful vocal ranges and the clarity that could successfully tackle the demanding songs which were made popular by Whitney Houston. 

It was as if Whitney Houston was reincarnated on stage as  we  listened to one hit after another (Greatest Love of All, I’m Every Women, Run to You, Saving All My Love For You, So Emotional and more).  I was transported back to the 90’s as I remembered singing these songs that dominated the radio. I think many in the audience were right back there with me because everyone seemed to be singing!



When Farmer rescued  Marron from the stalker's knife and lifted  her to safety like her “knight in shining armor”, I thought, “I need a guy like
that ”! We were  hooked on the romance when they passionately kissed during their first date. Marron then sang I Have Nothing on a star filled  stage.  I know it sounds a bit “cheesy” but it worked, or at least it did for me.


We all  waited for  "the song" that came  at the end. That triumphant masterful Huston hit, I Will Always Love You  was powerful. Deborah Cox hit it right on the mark. You could feel the energy from the audience as the first few notes were played. My friend leaned over to me and asked, “what’s everyone yelling about”. I answered with excitement, “she is going to sing THE SONG”!  


After the story line concluded, the entire cast reentered  with  I  Want to Dance With Somebody  and everyone in the audience was on their feet celebrating. The Bodyguard kept punching with music and thriller excitement but the best few punches were saved for the end!

The PNC Broadway in Pittsburgh series is definitely going to stay in my life survival tool box . Don’t miss the last few shows Waitress , Rent and Cinderella.  

 Other Sources 
Pittsburgh Cultural Trust https://trustarts.org/
I Have Nothing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAQG5JRBzc