Monday, December 4, 2017

Day 253 Carnegie Museum of Art – Third Thursdays 21+ nights-Winter Skate Party and MORE



Every third Thursday Carnegie Museum of Art (CMOA)  stays open for an over 21 themed party.  CMOA On Ice  was a winter party where you could  ice skate in the Hall of Sculptures and more. Now  that is a new experience.  I love art and winter so I was excited to join in the museum’s  winter celebration and ice skate at the museum!


Skating 




Reflection
The Hall of Sculptures rink was not made of real ice but I was surprised how easy it was to glide on  a plastic rink-no need for mittens or a coat.  It was a fun idea and every so often some fake snow spewed onto the  rink. I actually love winter sports so this event  jump started  my interest for skating again and I went  ice skating two days later.
Cookie table in foyer of Carnegie Music Hall













I had a blast doing all the fun stuff that  they had planned. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. The the crowd ranged from college age to a 70 year old man that I watched on the skating  rink.  I made a silk screen pennant, tried some samples of craft beers, and enjoyed the photo opts in front of classic art reproductions.  As an Italian, I just  loved the  giant cookie table in the foyer of the  ornate Carnegie Music Hall  with  a 90’s DJ.

Silkscreen Printing by AIR

I always enjoy the spectacular trees each year in the Hall of Architecture (see Day 93). This year the five enormous trees were decorated in children's book themes. My favorite was the Wizard of Oz tree. The   18th Century Nativity, presepio, is in this room is another work of art.

Wizard of Oz Tree

You could also just stroll through the art or go on a tour. I went on a tour of  “winter paintings” and learned something new about the museum collection. What a way to explore the art and get into the holiday spirit!

I am going to keep Third Thursdays and other museum events in my survival tool box. The next third Thursday party is on Dec 21 with a Star Wars  theme. 

(Check out  more ways to celebrate the season  at the museum by visiting the calendar here)


Other Source
CMOA  https://cmoa.org/
AIR http://www.artistsimageresource.org/