Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Day 232 American Eclipse 2017-Carnegie Science Center-awesome


The rare event of a total  solar eclipse exclusive to the US traversing a path across our country united  many Americans as we all looked up in amazement at this cosmic spectacle. We all had a little "eclipse fever", or at least I did, and why not, a continuous eclipse in the US has not happened since 1976 and one exclusive to the US since 1776. Americans everywhere  saw various versions of  the moon blocking the light of the sun and those in the direct path saw day turn into night. It was a moment where we realized how small we are, a  speck on this planet that is just a speck in the universe!



Image result for 2017 eclipse in pittsburgh
Eclipse in Pittsburgh- 81% coverage of sun, from Carnegie Science Center
Reflection
Many of my friends and even my cousin  traveled to places along the path of the eclipse which began  about 9:10 am in Oregon and traversed  to the East Coast, ending at about 2:44 pm in  Columbia, South Carolina.  In Pittsburgh,  I thought that  I would take advantage of the experts, viewing areas, telescopes, and of course the special observation dark glasses at the Carnegie Science Center .  I experienced   our  81% eclipse with some of my  friends, and about 4000 other strangers who made the pilgrimage!
Home made devices to view on deck at Science Center

The Science Center was full of people and  excitement as everyone looked up periodically between
1 pm and  the maximum view of the our eclipse at 2:35 pm. At the Buhl Observatory Deck  there  were kids to my left and a 91 year old lady to my right but everyone seemed to be smiling and amazed. 
Buhl Observatory Deck

As the experts predicted,  during our  peak moment (2:35pm) when the moon blocked the light of the sun  we felt  the temperature drop and the light dim. Looking  through my glasses I saw a  sliver of sun shining to the side and then moving to the top of  a black ball (the moon).   During those few minutes I reflected on how very small we all are in a huge universe-something that  I rarely even think  about. Like many others, I  paused,  looked up, and took it in with amazement!   

Wow factor with  reporter Alyssa Raymond WTAE-4
This will not happen again in the US again until 2024, when  the solar eclipse will  travel from Texas to the New England states. Since that is 7 years away and the next one is  a bit far in  Argentina or Chile  on July 2019, I thought that we should celebrate today’s opportunity  with some tequila sunrises as suggested by a friend.  Another of my “cheesy ideas” or  genius in some circles, was to add a  little wedding soup and call it  moon soup :) 

Today was a day to unite with others as we viewed something awesome. It was a once in a lifetime new experience for many!

Celebrate event with tequila sunrises and moon soup
(If you enjoy star gazing take advantage of Carnegie Science Center Sky Watch nights where you  can get a virtual tour of the sky in the Buhl Planetarium then head to the observatory  to view the sky through the powerful telescope)

Spiritual Reflection
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers-the moon and the stars you have set into place (Psalm 8:3)

Other Sources