Monday, July 3, 2017

Day 226 Diana Krall- Beautiful and Sultry (Benedum Center, Pittsburgh)


As an “empty- nester”  I have been drawn back to my past love for jazz.  Diana Krall made a Pittsburgh stop during her “Turn Up the Quit” tour recently.  This  jazz pianist is a  5 time Grammy winner with  8 albums debuting on the top of the Billboard Jazz charts.  It’s her sultry sound and her interpretation of many  jazz classics that makes her so unique and appealing to many, including me.

Reflection
Diana Krall is known for her  lower vocal range, sometimes whispering, almost speaking the words. I love the way that she feels the music and her smooth vibe radiates  through her  audience.   She  opened with  the  upbeat, “Do I Love You” and continued with “Look of Love” (Nat King Cole) , “Night and Day” (Cole Porter) and one of my favorites “Blue Skies”(Irving Berlin). Then she continued  for the next 2 hours!  I appreciated that she dedicated “Sunny Side of the Street” to Pittsburgh native Mr. Rogers.

visually beautiful show 

She  travels with a fantastic band who throughout  the show  showcased their talent  during these jazz standards. I loved the violin player who seemed to take the musical  part  usually reserved for a saxophone. He made that instrument sing and even  sometimes  plucked the strings.  It produced a unique musical blend.

I expected to hear good music but I did not expect such a wonderful visual experience at show.  The screen back drop  changed with the feel of the music projecting images and lights that intensified  the musical experience.  During the song “Temptation” it was flaming red  and  then  it had a dreamy effect for “Moonglow”.   Diana Krall created  a truly beautiful  musical escape.
Waiting for the show to start 

(For more upcoming concerts from the Cultural Trust see https://trustarts.org/ )

Spiritual Reflection

Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was excellent in every way (Genesis 1:31)

Other  Sources